What's new

Joy & Sorrow (HDR)

Over Exposed

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 5, 2008
Messages
212
Reaction score
34
Location
Asheville, NC
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Took the dog for a run in the woods in the beautiful weather today and snagged this 4 exposure HDR. C&C welcome as always.

CloudsOfJoySorrowResize.jpg
 
gorgeous shot, very serene scene.
 
I like the trees.

Would you mind shareing your aperture and shutter speeds on the original four photos?
 
I love the sky in this one... but I think the HDR is a little much. I don't know that I would have done 4 exposures for this one.
 
RLM, the exposures were:

1. f/8 1/5th iso100
2. f/8 1/25th iso100
3. f/8 1/100th iso100
4. f/8 1/400th iso100


I don't know that I would have done 4 exposures for this one.

Why do you say that? As you can see by the suns position, the scene was incredibly backlit. If anything I feel I should have taken a fifth frame to help create a smoother overall transition.
 
It looks a little bit cartoony, which sometimes HDR has a tendency to do. Rather than having a range of colors, there's a lot of black in the trees. I still very much like though photo though!!! You did a beautiful job, that was just my personal preference two cents.
 
It looks a little bit cartoony, which sometimes HDR has a tendency to do. Rather than having a range of colors, there's a lot of black in the trees. I still very much like though photo though!!! You did a beautiful job, that was just my personal preference two cents.

Thanks!

The fourth exposure was incorporated to reduce the amount of back light (and resulting black/lack of color) in the trees, which is why I felt a fifth exposure at 1 sec would have helped even more.

I tend to go for the 'painterly' effect when doing HDR work, using tone mapping instead of tone compression. It is certainly one of those love it or hate it things. I attribute my liking of this to my vivid view of the world around me. This is likely a result of too many psychedelics in my younger years. ;)
 
I'd love to see it with the 5th if you could post it.
 
oh woops, i missed that bit! I thought you had taken and just hadn't added it in. I'm not entirely awake yet. *goes to grab another cup of coffee* lol
 
It's certainly a nice shot but I'm not sure what including the sun in the corner of the frame achieves... I wouldn't mind seeing either a closer framed version or one turned slightly to the right angled with the tree line; maybe making the tree just over 1/3 in from the left the closest... all that said I don't know what's just out of frame though
As for HDR; I'm not a huge fan of it in general; it just doesn't look natural in this case but still vastly superior to some I've seen.
 
Yes; very interesting; at the same time the other part of my mind says it is a bit overdone? which part of my mind i should be heedful to? ;)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom