Judging Local Art Show

twocolor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.twocolorphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was asked to head a judging committee for a local art competition and art show. I came up with and presented the judging information to our head judge. He thought it was too over done and thought we should just use a sticker system to rate the art. The three judges could give out stickers, and the pictures with the most stickers won??????????

What in the heck is that about??

Shouldn't there be a rating system. I thought each picture should be rated from one to ten in different criteria (i.e. technical ability, creativity, form . . .).

Please give me some ideas or at least some backing for judging this contest.

any suggestions? I thought each of three judges should rate each photo in categories like overall composition, technical ability, form, and creativity. The artwork recieving the most points obviously would win.

But, what do I know?

So wait, you are heading a judging committee and there's also a head judge? Who's in charge? No really, if you are, just pull rank. (of course after your powers of persuasion have failed you).

Oh and tell us more about the stickers. If the head jugde wants to rewards stickers for composition, technique, creativity etc. you both want the same.

pascal

My job was to find judges, jury any artwork if needed and, yes, come up with judging criteria. (which means I can pull rank)

The head judge is basically the judge that had the best references - he is in charge of any communications between the judges.

The sticker thing, in depth is that they each have a sheet of stickers. If they like one they put a sticker on it. If they really like it they put two stickers on it . . . . Then you walk around the exhibit area and find the photo with the most stickers and TA-DAH, the winner!!

Coming from a photographer's standpoint, I feel there needs to be a little more to it than just "I really, really, really, really like your photo, so you get 6 stickers."

Am I wrong in my thinking?

GOLD STARS!

Lol, stickers is a terrible idea. The adhesive might ruin the print.

Do some kind of 1-10 or something.

My job was to find judges, jury any artwork if needed and, yes, come up with judging criteria. (which means I can pull rank)

The head judge is basically the judge that had the best references - he is in charge of any communications between the judges.

The sticker thing, in depth is that they each have a sheet of stickers. If they like one they put a sticker on it. If they really like it they put two stickers on it . . . . Then you walk around the exhibit area and find the photo with the most stickers and TA-DAH, the winner!!

Coming from a photographer's standpoint, I feel there needs to be a little more to it than just "I really, really, really, really like your photo, so you get 6 stickers."

Am I wrong in my thinking?

I see. Well, it would have been better - not trying to be a jerk here - if you would have thought of this before forming the jury. So you could have told the head judge 'this is how we do it, take it or leave it'.
But hey, maybe this works: tell him that stickers are not the most elegant way of judging art (don't you just love understatements?). And that you would like to put as much effort in the judging as the contenders undoubtly have put in their artwork. They take their work seriously and so should the judges, and that's why you've come up with....*insert plan*.

No really, I think you can make the argument that the artists would really appreciate judges that put time and effort in their decisions.

pascal

I hadn't thought of putting into the perspecitve of comparing the time the photographer has spent in preparing a piece for submission to the time and thought the judges should put into it. But I agree. When a considerable amount of thought and effort is put into getting the perfect shot and then the after work of getting it ready for presentation, it is only fair that an equal amount of effort and thought be put into its judging.

I was thrown by this guy because he is a curator of a art museum here-I guess I thought maybe he knew better than I did.

I actually did go into this with sample judging sheets that I had put together, as well as schedule and layout of how I wanted it done. I guess it's time to put my foot down.

Most reactions

Back