What's new

Just a Beginner

newtotheforum

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Finally , I got my new DSLR and after getting bit of tips from Youtube about photography i tried to get a few sunset pictures from my office and this is my first shot at DSLR. Please let me know what is correct and wrong in the pic. Looking forward to learn from you. Thanks for viewing

DSCF0019.jpg
 
I'm definitely no award winning photographer but what I will say about this is I think I'd prefer either more light (earlier) or probably 5 minutes later.. I say that because its weird that you can see some detail in the buildings.. I feel like I always see sunset photos where buildings and such are just solid black and the focus is completely the sunset. If the sun had gone down just a bit you'd probably have darker buildings..
 
The foreground looks severely underexposed. For sunsets, I would try using a graduated neutral density filter, which is basically like a pair of sunglasses with a gradient on it for your lens. It allows for you to have more control over the exposure and can give you brighter foregrounds while maintaining a proper exposure for the sky.

The other option is to expose the photo so that the foreground is completely silhouetted, which can look good sometimes.

Also, I would highly recommend the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. It has lots of good tips for how to meter scenes properly so that you get the best exposure for the situation.

Lastly, the composition is not that interesting to me, and the horizon is a little crooked. Look into the rule of thirds.. this is a very popular composition principle that is used a lot when taking landscapes. You also might look for a less cluttered foreground.
 
It's just awkward. I keep wanting to tilt my monitor up to see what's in the dark area.

Too much detail on the roof tops for a "skyline" look, but not enough detail for a good look at what you're taking the picture of.

The color is warm and inviting...but you can't see what you're being invited TO. If that makes sense. lol
 
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new camera. However, the Fuji Finepix F200exr, is an advanced point and shoot, not a DSLR. A DSLR has interchangeable lenses, and a viewfinder that looks through the lens, not a display on the back of the camera. However, your camera is capable of taking great pictures if you understand its limitations. I am sure you will enjoy it.

The photo is crooked, try to keep the horizon straight.

I am not sure what the subject is in your photo. Compositionally, it doesn't really do anything for me.

However, keep shooting, and in no time you will be taking great photos.

-Andy
 
It's just awkward. I keep wanting to tilt my monitor up to see what's in the dark area.

Too much detail on the roof tops for a "skyline" look, but not enough detail for a good look at what you're taking the picture of.

The color is warm and inviting...but you can't see what you're being invited TO. If that makes sense. lol


I am not feeling the tilt either but the color you captured is really clean! Work with it... :thumbup:
 
Firstly, thanks to everyone for taking time to comment on the pic.

I'll try to find a copy of Understanding Exposure from the local library. Alex, I'm aware of rules of third apart from that i've very rudimentary or no knowledge about other composition principles.. try to learn more about it....

Andy, I'm using Fuji Finepix S200exr not Fuji Finepix F200exr. It has a viewfinder but the lens are not interchangeable.

Thanks for encouraging words as well...
 
Firstly, thanks to everyone for taking time to comment on the pic.

I'll try to find a copy of Understanding Exposure from the local library. Alex, I'm aware of rules of third apart from that i've very rudimentary or no knowledge about other composition principles.. try to learn more about it....

Andy, I'm using Fuji Finepix S200exr not Fuji Finepix F200exr. It has a viewfinder but the lens are not interchangeable.

Thanks for encouraging words as well...


That being said helps us understand where your coming from... good work with what you got!
 
Hi frommrstomommy , this is a picture i took approximately 5 - 10 mins earlier.

First one with f/5.6 , S-1/400 , this one was taken with f/5.6 , S-1/200. I thought this one was too cluttered. In the earlier one the idea was to capture the colour and just the rooftop. But I think the execution went wrong.:lol: . Got a clear sky today and hope to get some pics today.

DSCF0007.jpg
 
That being said helps us understand where your coming from... good work with what you got!

AliasPros, Since I'm just starting I'm bit reluctant to go for costly gears. Once i get a hang of photography and bit more money will go for some nice stuff.
 
That being said helps us understand where your coming from... good work with what you got!

AliasPros, Since I'm just starting I'm bit reluctant to go for costly gears. Once i get a hang of photography and bit more money will go for some nice stuff.

As for the second pic I am feeling it a lot more, but I am a noob too so don't trust my word. I am just more interested in the second photo...

As for the equipment I gotcha, smart move! LOL I went the otherway, spent the money then figure learn the gear... both way work, I guess I respect your way better since your overcoming limitations! :thumbup: awesome! keep it up... I will see what I can get done and posted here... Get a few gigs coming up...
 
That being said helps us understand where your coming from... good work with what you got!

AliasPros, Since I'm just starting I'm bit reluctant to go for costly gears. Once i get a hang of photography and bit more money will go for some nice stuff.

As for the second pic I am feeling it a lot more, but I am a noob too so don't trust my word. I am just more interested in the second photo...

As for the equipment I gotcha, smart move! LOL I went the otherway, spent the money then figure learn the gear... both way work, I guess I respect your way better since your overcoming limitations! :thumbup: awesome! keep it up... I will see what I can get done and posted here... Get a few gigs coming up...

For Equipment the main reason was didn't have enough $$$ to go for a real quality DSLR... If not, I could have gone for a good one... So found a way to self-justify my s200EXR decision.....:D

Thanks...looking forward....
 
Looks like a sweet lil camera... no interchangeable lenses huh???
s200exr.jpg


Shoot I would have sold you one of my toss around XTI's with some glass... 50mm 1.8 etc. for cheap...
968787367_cce20fcf73.jpg
 
After your feedback and tried to learn a bit on my own and went out with my camera again.... Do you see any improvement from my first pic?? Please feel free to comment....


DSCF0039.jpg
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom