Just a Beginner

Ahh... landscape sunsets. I can throw down alittle advice.

1.) Bring a tripod... I know, I know, this is a pain in the ass, but its a must for sharp, crisp landscape shot, and it will lead to number 2.

2.) Keep the iso down. Never shoot above 200. Having the camera on a tripod will allow you to do longer exposures to keep the iso down.

3.) Shoot at wide angles. a good wide angle should be between 18-24mm. Now, I just ordered a 10-20mm sigma that I'm foaming at the mouth for, but they are kinda pricey and 18mm is usually found in a kit lense.

4.) Composition- your second shot is better because you have something in the foreground, but try to capture something even closer to give the viewer the effect of being drawn in. This is really important because it adds depth of field to your shot. Here is an example of creating DoF with a Landscape shot

JPGMAG_1808280.jpg

5.) Let nature do the work. By that, I mean, not every sunset is striking. Lucky for me, I live close to the Everglades, so a half hour before sunset I can tell if its going to be a beautiful shot, or just the plain old sun sitting behind the horizon line. Some of the best shots also come after the sun has already set and the light bounces off the clouds.

6.) on days when Nature doesn't cooperate, HDR does. This is why you also need a tripod. If you are unfamiliar with HDR, google it, but the gist of it is combining multiple exposures at different points on your light meter. For ex, shooting 3 exposures at -2, 0, +2 on your light meter, then you combine these exposures later with a program. Here is a shot of kinda a boring sunset, but the HDR livens it up

FINALGIMP2.jpg

I'm sure there is stuff that I left out, but its a good start. Any other questions just respond or PM me and I'll try to help you out... Good Luck

Most reactions

Back