Just a conversation

imagemaker46

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
imagecommunications.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I met a woman this week while shooting, she was holding her camera wrong so I offered a tip on how to hold the 7D and 70-200 2.8 she was using, she understood what I had to say and changed the grip. Later in the week we spoke a little more and she asked all kinds of questions on shooting sports and how long I had been shooting etc. I asked her about herself and she said that she had been shooting for 15 years but has been a professional on weekends for a couple of years. I was puzzled by the "weekend professional" She said that she shot weddings, my next question was if she noticed that she wasn't getting as much work , she said that she usually does 10 weddings a year but the market is saturated with amateurs, and that recently a wedding she had booked was cancelled because the couple decided to use their uncle who just bought a new camera.

She then told me that she decided to start shooting sports but was having trouble because she didn't have the good gear like I did, this coming from someone who had to be told how to hold a camera correctly a few days earlier, is a "weekend professional" and is complaining that the wedding market is saturated by people just like her. Some people really lift my spirits and give me something to smile about.

There's a lot of popcorn going around the last few days. Hope you folks remember to floss.

Maybe holding the camera wrong is part of her artistic style. You might of been able to learn something from her.

Yes. Popcorn.

It's something you eat while being entertained.

But generally, it is consumed prior to the entertainment actually starting. Which then makes you have to go get something to drink in the middle of the entertainment.

Gotcha, about the popcorn.

Mishele, no don't believe that artistic style has anything to do with this at all, she admitted that holding the lens the correct way was much better and easier.

Maybe some people prefer their own style rather than the traditional way.

And like every traditional way people always find other unique ways that work as well. More than one way of doing things right.

Carry a 100-400mm around all day, and try both methods. You'll see why the "proper" way Is better. I guarantee it.

Gotcha, about the popcorn.

Mishele, no don't believe that artistic style has anything to do with this at all, she admitted that holding the lens the correct way was much better and easier.

I know, that was a bad attempt at being funny

Oh i know its easier im just saying for arguments sake.

Eh the simple reason is that the only gatekeeper to being a photographer and charging for your services is the photographer. No exams, no qualifications, no restricted access organisations or national bodies to appear before - nopes nothing stops anyone save themselves from trying. Succeeding (and to what point you can consider yourself successful) of course requires a little bit more than just a desire, but it leaves a big gap for a lot of people to push in and try.

Plus I think a lot of people don't feel secure in their jobs these days, the market is far to shifty so people feel that having a little something on the side (as it were) is important to have as a backup. There is also the dream that people like to chase too :)

PS - Bitter if you keep eating popcorn at this rate you're going to have to do some more long telephoto work to burn off all that extra popcorn goodness :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back