When you decided to be a photographer what expectations did you have?

I tried to convince myself that it was an investment that would pay itself back, but really I knew I was just blowing thousands of dollars. :lol:

Maybe one day I wouldn't mind making a little money with it, but that day isn't today.

If I didn't have such a good day job, I might work harder at 'becoming a pro'... I'm still not 100% sure that I want that though.

Mr. imageMaker, I asked a similar question a year ago. You may enjoy going through the old answers. It will be cool seeing the answers from the new crop of peeps.

If I didn't have such a good day job, I might work harder at 'becoming a pro'... I'm still not 100% sure that I want that though.
Thats basically where I am and have been for a while. But I never really had any expectations, this is a hard world to get into so I mainly just do it for fun, to maybe one day catch a break. That is, unless I get so fed up with the day job that I am forced to get serious.

I was expecting to be taking some nudie pics but hasn't panned out that way yet:(
Its more work than its cracked up to be anyways, trust me. Ive been editing for hours. :thumbdown:

Well for what it's worth I haven't achieved everything that I would have liked, but photography kind of chose me. I never really thought of being a photographer, growing up in it I found it really easy and just got good at it. I have a background in arts, know how to airbush murals and am a certified personal trainer. In photography I've had the opportunities to see great things, and travel to amazing places. I guess it's not so much what I expected in the beginning but more how it will be at the end.

Well i never really looked at the business aspect until later of when i started, my first thoughts where just getting my work out there and getting known somewhat and then once there i was hoping business would come easy. Well after looking at reality nothing is easy, im hoping one day when i have more free time i will expand my photography into a business perspective.

Yeah, metalsmithing chose me as well.
I am jealous of the travel oportunities pro photography can bring. And all the experiences attached to that.

I envy those photographers, they really enjoy every aspect of their job and life. But i guess in a sense that has its downs because you don't get much time to just settle down and relax for a while... your always on the go.

One of the things I'm most thankful for is the guy that gave me the opportunity to cover my first big multisport games in 1986, it pretty much opened the door for my career in covering sports at the highest level on the planet and from there I never looked back, I've been lucky with the great experiences I've had, both good and bad, it has never really been an easy trip but worth it.

There are also days I really wish I had a nice 9-5 job and a steady paycheque.

I could have added more but don't want to risk the chances of being accused of having a big ego or boasting, I rarely talk about myself. I'm happy with the career I've been having, but it really has had a lot of downs, but when the ups are there they are really up there.

Most reactions

Back