Just a quick message for the beginners (and pros as well)

Exactly. There is technical and then there is the artistic side. Nobody can teach you to be artistic, you either are, or you aren't. It's a characteristic one possesses, you cannot be "shown" by someone else how to be artistic.

Exactly. There is technical and then there is the artistic side. Nobody can teach you to be artistic, you either are, or you aren't. It's a characteristic one possesses, you cannot be "shown" by someone else how to be artistic.

This is true. However you have to learn the basics of any art form before you can realize your natural creativity. I sucked at playing guitar until I sucked it up and took some lessons. Even today, after playing for 13 years, it's still useful to have someone else listen to the music I write and give me their objective opinion.

we were all beginners.. as was i... but i didnt post my flower pics because i saw how many people posted flower pics... i waited until "I" was happy with my pictures, I didn't pull my d40 out of the box, take 5 pictures and then post them... I waitied months, practiced, studied, and learned, THEN when things were looking good to my eye, I went for the opinion of the masses
I guess I know what section of the forum to avoid, then...since I could care less about the opinion of the masses.

I just want to ask, those of you that are at your wits end, did one of these newbies attack you and demand C&C? ...because I would just not pay attention to it if it bothered me that much...

Well, then some poeple are just made to drive automatics, I suppose, but you cannot blame your inattention to inability... its not the same.

Seems like you blew this way out of proportion.;)

If you cannot see the forest becuase of the trees... once you hit your nose a few times running around, the average person will learn to slow down and walk in such a manner that they will not bump their noses, or if they do, they've learned to walk slower so they don't beak it.

I'm quite sure I'd have been able to figure it out on my own, my dad just gave me a pointer. Is that too bad?

You are telling me that you are not like this and have no ability to process the obvious and will keep repeating obvious errors over without change until someone holds your hand and guides you to another process.

No. I just stated an example where the advice from someone with more experience helped me... with the BASICS. Maybe I was too exited about drinving the car that I forgot to check for the engine, maybe it was too much information in the moment.

Most people have the skill to learn from their mistakes. I am an IT trainer, this is what I do to put bread on my table and see this EVERYDAY that I work.

So if someone makes a basic mistake, you just let them repeat it again and again?

Thing is Jerry - sometimes people don't know that they are bumping their noses against a tree to know to stop (here the analagy breaks).
My point is that sometimes you just don't know (especially at the start) things - like a newborn baby - you have to learn by both trial and error and by people showing you the way. There is no weakness in admitting that you need to be shown.
Further some can be shown by a book - some by trial and error and others need that communication (be it from words of mouth or words on a screen) to make the connections.

:mrgreen: Thanks!That was pretty much my message, but you used better (more clear) wording.

In my opinion thats the purpose of the beginner forum. some people can read the books and it just comes to them others need feedback to get better. If everyone could learn from books why do we have schools and why does anyone bother going? Thats why in preschool you learn your ABC's and your numbers and they build on from there. If the C&C posts bother you look in the professionals forum.

The dictionary definition of beginner is: a novice, someone who is new to a field or activity.

haha these threads get so intense!!
I love it!

I consider myself a noob and I often look through threads that ask for C&C... if I really like it, I say so, if I know what can be done (and it hasn't already been said) then I'll say so.

I have learned quite a bit from posting my shots and hearing what people have to say (tirediron being one of the most helpful btw) In the beginning, you can't separate yourself from your work and look at it objectively being able to say what you see wrong, because you have no idea what you're looking for! As time goes on, and people have been honest and helpful, you will be able to see exactly what is wrong... I think that is the point you stop being considered a noob. Having said all that, I don't think it's necessary to have hundreds of similar comments and advice on one or two photographs, one helpful person will do... and if all you're looking for is compliments and an ego boost, show your mom.

I just spent the last twenty minutes reading this thread before realizing it was three months old!

Damn you Michael! Daamn yooouuu!!!

LOL on the 3 months old, seems kind of pointless now what I wanted to say but:

As an extreme noobie (to this site) I have just a simple response to this discussion:

No good student should rely soley on advice from others without personal study.

No respected teacher has just given someone a book and said "Figure it out" without some help along the way.

I'll just say I'm a real newbie, the kind ya'll hate. I bought my dslr without knowing what aperature was, thinking I'd get great shots by pressing a button.
I now know how ignorant I am, so I've been reading non stop since I bought the camera, and practicing too. not as much as I'd like (or need to) but some.
and FINALLY I felt like I was getting decently exposed shots but I'm so green I didn't trust my self.
so I posted two photos and asked for specific input regarding the exposure. and thank you tirediron, for responding to that post, because I was ready to give up, but reading that someone with experience thought it was well exposed was very encouraging.

so no, I'm no pro, and will likely never be. but I'm learning and enjoying the process. I hope there will always be a couple of people here who don't mind putting up with me

I'm a noob too and I find that a lot of the stuff written here is a bit arrogant. Sure, we can all read books, but to be quite frank....sometimes books don't make sense to me and I want people to help me figure it out. If people think I'm too "noob" to be asking for CC, then avoid posting, but judging from some of the responses, I don't think I'd want CC if it's a big deal because I don't know the difference between the A on my lens and on the camera. Forget that.

After lurking around here for the last couple years or so as a guest, Finally taken the plunge and registered a nick

I to have noticed some of the comments on here for eg:

#1 Doesn't really do much for me

What sort of dumb answer is that????

for a new photographer to receive a answer like that is complete worthless in helping where they have gone wrong. If your going to answer like that then don't answer it at all. That tells the photographer absolutely nothing to help get experience ( after all we were all newbs once )

On the opposite end of the spectrum we have this answer ( both answers were for different photos BTW)

The sky is rather bland; the use of a graduated neutral-density filter would have really perked it up. As well, the colours overall are slightly desaturated. The use of a circular polarizer would have given you a little more pop there as well.

This answer is spot on. it gives the photographer good advice to capture a better picture than his/her original, Also to spend that little bit extra on his equipment

My advice for newbie photographers to avoid such harsh C & C well here would be a really good start

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123160

Also Join a camera club.. there is nothing better than hands on experience (person to person )to show you on your own camera where you went wrong in taking pictures

I to have noticed some of the comments on here for eg:

#1 Doesn't really do much for me

What sort of dumb answer is that????

for a new photographer to receive a answer like that is complete worthless in helping where they have gone wrong. If your going to answer like that then don't answer it at all. That tells the photographer absolutely nothing to help get experience ( after all we were all newbs once )

well you're perky....

Doesn't really do much for me means just that. It doesn't invoke some sort of emotional or psychological response.
Bland.
Boring.
Possibly trite.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back