Just a quick question: Keeping the shutter open

BWK2893

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
bwkphotographyandart.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I apologize in advance if there is a thread out there that's going to be similar to this post but it's 2 in the morning and i'm exhausted! I have a Nikon D3000 and just made my first slow shutter light graffiti picture! The only problem I have right now is that I can't keep the shutter open unless I'm holding the button down myself, therefore requiring me to have an assistant. I tried using the timer but that only does a countdown and doesn't keep it open. Would I have to get a remote? I don't know much about my camera which is pathetic.. Advice would be very much appreciated! ;)

Also. If anyone is reading this and knows about light graffiti, I see that some photographers who do light graffiti don't have the the person drawing the light at all in the picture. How is that even possible!? :confused:

Thanks!

You should get a cable release or a remote. With a cable you just put camera on bulb, push the button down and lock it. Shutter will stay open as long as the button is locked. I'm assuming it's the same for a remote.

Bulb mode, set the shutter to the desired speed and press the button...

For light graffiti I'd suggest using the timer. Usually it goes up to 30sec if i am not wrong. You can always do separate takes and combine them in photoshop. This will shorten your exposure time, less stress on the sensor and helps to reduce the risk of mistakes.

Also. If anyone is reading this and knows about light graffiti, I see that some photographers who do light graffiti don't have the the person drawing the light at all in the picture. How is that even possible!? :confused:

Thanks!
The person is moving the whole time the shutter is open, so they're just blurred completely and everything behind them shows through them much stronger than the blurred image of them, which is so faint in relation that they can't be seen.

Wow thanks for a whole lot of advice guys and the helpful links! Gonna try everything out! Especially read my manual multiple times:lol:

Nikon app. Learned a ton.

You should get a cable release or a remote. With a cable you just put camera on bulb, push the button down and lock it. Shutter will stay open as long as the button is locked. I'm assuming it's the same for a remote.
With most wireless remotes, it's click once to open, click again to close.

Guess its primitive, but you can try. Use manual mode with shutter speed at lowest( should get 30 sec) & use a timer to ( can use a 2 sec timer) open the shutter. Since it is on manual mode, u can try ur best aperture size with a few runs.....

Cheers....

Guess its primitive, but you can try. Use manual mode with shutter speed at lowest( should get 30 sec) & use a timer to ( can use a 2 sec timer) open the shutter. Since it is on manual mode, u can try ur best aperture size with a few runs.....

Cheers....

ummm yeah, this is the simplest way (though you do still want to use the timer to trigger the shutter so the camera isn't being shaken by your pressing the button)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back