Just a thought on Full-Frame sensors

I

Iron Flatline

Sorry, had to get this off my chest:

I know that we don't NEED Full-Frame sensors to take good pictures.

The problem is that the 36x24mm negative that we know from 35mm film has become the standard. Free markets NEED standards - it enables a level playing field and enables competition.

Right now, the manufacturers describe everything (even Point-and-Shoot cameras) with focal length equivalents. ("28-210mm equiv." for instance.) That's because 35mm is the standard.

So one of two things will have to happen: we either need to set a new standard, or the market will have to develop FF sensors.

I expect digital SLRs and RFs to feature Full-Frame sensors within the next few years.

Thoughts? Comments?

I agree completely. As the technology improves and they get better and cheaper to produce, I think that all dSLR's and RF's will have full-frame sensors. Especially since you don't see (at least with Canon) a huge line of digital only lenses, especially ones geared towards professionals (ie the "L" line).

This was discussed in another thread some time ago, where someone tried to say that full-frame sensors were a fad and that they would disappear with time, which I totally see as the opposite. As I said, I think everything will be full-frame eventually. Like you said, its a standard, and every industry needs standards.

:)

Not only will sensors become full "35mm" frame, but I also think that at some point they'll have crammed as many pixels as humanly possible into a 36x24mm sensor, and the camera companies will have to move up to MF for their pro lines.

I don't really see this happening within a few years though. I think in 10 years it's likely.

I agree, full frame sensors would make sense. There are just too many lenses designed to work with that size of media.

I also think that at some point they'll have crammed as many pixels as humanly possible into a 36x24mm sensor, and the camera companies will have to move up to MF for their pro lines.
I think there will always be a market for MF sized sensors and cameras...but do you think that Canon & Nikon will make that their flagship pro line?
Once they have crammed 30MP into a full frame sensor, with 10 stops of latitude and noiseless Images at ISO 1600...would anyone really need any more? Probably not, but I guess the will still have to be the next greatest thing around the corner.

I hope FF becomes the norm even though I just got my D80 not too long ago :(. I only look at Interchangeable or Film Lens with the anticipation that my future camera will be FF.

I think you need to look at the market share, technological advances, and the potential for the highest profit when trying to anticipate which way this will go. To have higher resolution, does it take a FF to cram it all in? Do professionals or the amateur with the lower line camera with it set on Auto makeup most of the market? If you move to FF in every camera, then that leaves behind those that purchased the digital lenses, but they may only have the one kit lens and not losing out on much.

I believe in Moore's law, and when dealing with sensors and digital cameras we're essentially dealing with semi-conductors. I don't believe that future developments will be simply about pixel count. I assume we'll see multiple color layers like the Foveon sensor, which effectively emulates film with its various layers. Who knows, the development could come from anywhere (though probably near Palo Alto) but ultimately it is as much a marketing issue as it is a technical one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back