Just about killed by a Tornado today.

Stradawhovious

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I packed up the faimly to go on a little Sunday drive, nothing out of the ordinary. Weather was a little rainy, but not bad.

About 10 minutes into the drive my phone alerts me to a tornado watch in my area.

About 15 minutes into the drive, my better half and I see some clouds that don't look very friendly.

The next things happened very fast.... The clouds and sky were replaced by a wall of cloud that started at the road, and went straight up. It's difficult to describe, but the wall appeared to be both completely still and completely in motion at the same time. Then things started moving through the air. Large peices of tree, street signs, big rocks and chunks of tarmac. The car was rocked, then lifted..... (this is not an exaggeration..) ONly a few inches.... but lifted just the same... set down and then pelted from all angles with the airborne debris. The windshield was chipped and cracked in about 2 dozen places. The rear driver's side window was completely smashed in covering my 8 year old with glass. The paint is destroyed with dents, chips and scratches, and every piece of glass needs to be replaced.

This took all of 10 seconds at the most.

The amazing part...... None of us were injured.

Truly terrifying. Truly amazing. News report says that the tornade touched down directly on top of where we were.

Holy crap, well glad to see that you and yours weren't hurt. Would totally miss your witty comments and perfectly timed emoticons.

Damn! Glad you're OK.

Now, where's the pix?

Holy **** dude!

:addpics:

But seriously, I can't even imagin the ten seconds of terror you went through, and glad you and your family are safe.

Yep...... photos are required.

Three months ago, I have some crazy dude crash into my front yard after terrorizing the neighborhood. And I still managed to take photos.

D7K_0615.jpg

D7K_0611.jpg

D7K_0594.jpg

I was behind the wheel of the car, not a passenger. The entire event was over in a matter of seconds. Taking pics was the last thing on my mind.

Seriously.

here is one of the window that my better half took with her phone's camera when we got to our destination....

tornado.jpg

The storms up in the cities yesterday were awful! Glad to hear you're okay! Did you guys get any more storms last night? Up at my dad's in Lino Lakes they've had tornado warnings for the past two days, but in Mankato we haven't seen anything but rain.

Glad you're ok and I hope more here remember the lesson you've learned: These things can start and stop more quickly than you can react. If you see weather you don't like don't hesitate or second guess yourself, just get safe. You can look stupid over reacting or you can look stupid with a silo bouncing off your head. At least in the first instance you can laugh at yourself later.

You were lucky. One of the people on VWVortex posted about how him and his friends went through the Tuscaloosa tornado in a closet of their house. The house was totally removed from the foundation and a girl that was with them didn't survive. I ****ing hate tornados. I'll never live in the midwest without a storm cellar or something similar. How about, I'll just never live in the midwest.

West has earthquakes, East has Hurricanes....everywhere has something.

Damn man, lucky no re-bar or 2x4 came flying through. Very lucky.

During Hurricane Hugo in '89 I lost my house, completely destroyed except the one room I was in. Pieces of wood were impaled into concrete, I've seen what 240mph winds can do. Count your blessings you and your family are safe!

So happy to hear you and your family are safe. Makes you realize just how quickly your life can change.

Thanks all. In hindsight, and in light of the fact that nobody was hurt, it was an awsome experience. I mean that in the purest definenition of the word, not the '90's "Woah dude, that's awesome." sense.

My heart and prayers go out to those in Joplin MO though. After seeing the devestation they went through, my encounter seems like it was a slight breeze. Nature is an amazing force.

Most reactions

Back