Just acquired Sigma 150-500mm...

kirbym2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone,

Looking for some suggestions here. I've been looking for a decent (translation, reasonably priced), zoom for my D7000. I like the idea of photographing wildlife, but don't have the opportunity a lot. Let's say this may have been more of an impulse purchase, but I really like the idea of having it in my arsenal of lenses.

I've really got to justify this purchase to my wife. Any tips/suggestions for other uses? Can I use this lens for portraits, macro - anything beyond wildlife?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I didn't include in my original post, but I would also like any suggestions for shooting with this type of lens. Is this a tripod only lens, or are hand held shots an option?

Had you googled the question, you'd find sigma's web page shows it being used for portraiture

150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM - Telephoto Zoom Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com
google.gif

It's a bit much for portraiture unless you keep it at the low end. Realistically you're not taking portraits at 500 mm. Sports is a good application.

It's a bit much for portraiture unless you keep it at the low end. Realistically you're not taking portraits at 500 mm. Sports is a good application.

Yeah I agree, the question was a bit much too
icon10.gif

Sorry 2WheelPhoto - Didn't mean to overwhelm you with my question. The "google it" response was well thought out and articulated. By following your easy to read instructions, I was able to get a lot of great information.

With my vent out of the way, perhaps some of you "seasoned" vets that have used a longer than average zoom can post a pic or two. I'd love to see some of the successes you've had. Portraits, Macro shots, Sports, Wildlife - I'm open to all of it. I'm also interested in seeing some panning techniques.

If you have any advice for using this type of lens - tripod vs monopod vs handheld, ideal aperture, etc, please let me know.

Thanks again everyone - really appreciate the advice.

Sorry 2WheelPhoto - Didn't mean to overwhelm you with my question. The "google it" response was well thought out and articulated. By following your easy to read instructions, I was able to get a lot of great information.

With my vent out of the way, perhaps some of you "seasoned" vets that have used a longer than average zoom can post a pic or two. I'd love to see some of the successes you've had. Portraits, Macro shots, Sports, Wildlife - I'm open to all of it. I'm also interested in seeing some panning techniques.

If you have any advice for using this type of lens - tripod vs monopod vs handheld, ideal aperture, etc, please let me know.

Thanks again everyone - really appreciate the advice.

No worries, you didn't overwhelm me. I found a plethora of info and example pics on this forum with its search tool too. I'll paste links if it helps you
icon10.gif

Have your wife stand on the other side of a lake and take her portrait ....then tell her how great she looks with the new lens.

+1

Then across the room for a headshot shot at 150mm
bigthumb.gif

I've used it for motorcycle racing and daytime sports. I've always used it hand held.

I use mine primarily for wildlife and birds, and it works quite well handheld or on a tripod. It needs lots of light though, and doesn't like dimly lit conditions. I've had it for about 18 months and have been well-pleased with it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back