Just bought a D300s body...need a lens

AnotherNewGuy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to get the most out of my new full frame camera.

Anyone have lens suggestions?

I know it is all in the glass and I plan on spending the big bucks eventually. I want to start with something slightly cheaper for now tho. I kinda broke the bank on the body.

I really don't want to be the one to tell you this but...

The D300s isn't full frame, you wanted the D700 or D3 series if you have a desire for full frame.

Yes, D300s is not a ff body. As for the lens, you may want to let us know your budget and the type of photography you are planning to use the lens for.

....man, i have no idea about nikon cameras or lenses, so i can't help you but i would be dying right now if i had a new camera without a lens to try it out.

I think he is kidding. He knows the D300s is a DX camera. For a DX camera if you want a stay on lens try either the 17-55mm f2.8 or the 16-85mm VR.

For a good walk around lens, look at the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 HSM Macro. It's an excellent buy and is sharp or sharper than the Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8. Plus it's got a macro mode (1:3) that the Nikkor doesn't even have. And it's about one third the price. ;)

For a good walk around lens, look at the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 HSM Macro. It's an excellent buy and is sharp or sharper than the Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8. Plus it's got a macro mode (1:3) that the Nikkor doesn't even have. And it's about one third the price. ;)

Same here!

I absolutely L-O-V-E my Sigma 18-50mm 2.8 HSM.

I only have a D80, and it isn't a FF camera either. But I wouldn't ever pay that much for a camera body unless it was making enough money to pay for itself.

Last edited:
Same. Not that it matters really. Both systems will take kick ass shots.

Walk around lens, I will SLIGHTLY alter the recommendations and suggest you try and find a Sigma 24-60MM F/2.8. I don't think you'll be able to find one, but if you do it'll be cheaper than the 18-50MM, and its use is legendary (for the cost). I got mine for 215 bucks about a year ago, but they don't make them anymore, and the price is inflated a bit now.

I want to get the most out of my new full frame camera.

Anyone have lens suggestions?

I know it is all in the glass and I plan on spending the big bucks eventually. I want to start with something slightly cheaper for now tho. I kinda broke the bank on the body.

:lmao:

Nikon's 24-85mm AF-S G is a modestly-sized, reasonably light weight, affordable lens on the used market. It has the size and weight that will make you want to take the camera with you, instead of leaving the camera behind.
For an outdoor walkaround lens, it's handy, small,and easy to handle. This would be a lens I would look for when in a "broke the bank" type of situation.

Seems like this might be his first camera, isn't a D300 kinda far up the line to be just learning on?

He could have a VERY nice camera in a D90, and get exceptional quality glass for a lot less than he is spending for this one. I know he already has it (don't know how long, or if it is returnable), but to me, seems like that is a LOT of camera for a beginner to be learning on.

Ya, gotta start somewhere. The middle of the line's not a bad place. But the learning curve is steeper there too.

Most reactions

Back