What's new

Just bought a Nikon D90 - Looking for a wide lens

doublem_1

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 1, 2011
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
England
I have recently purchased a nikon D90 with an 18-55mm lens. I love the camera to bits but I would like to buy a wide angle lens (not a fish-eye lens). I have had a look but the selection really is mind boggling.

I'm looking photo landscapes mainly. Any suggestions? I have about a £100 budget.

Thanks
 
I have recently purchased a nikon D90 with an 18-55mm lens. I love the camera to bits but I would like to buy a wide angle lens (not a fish-eye lens). I have had a look but the selection really is mind boggling.

I'm looking photo landscapes mainly. Any suggestions? I have about a £100 budget.

Thanks

I don't think there is anything you can find new that is wider than your 18mm and under £100. The cheapest 3rd party ultrawide zooms start around $400 with the Tokina 12-24mm and $450-$500 for the Sigma 10-20mm. Maybe find cheaper used but probably neither under $300?

Good luck,
Scott
 
Cheapest you can find is the old version of the 10-20mm sigma used--but it will still cost you at least $300usd

One bright note is that, in super wides, the cheaper third party lenses perform just as well as the nikons
 
I have a D90 and use the 10-24mm Tamron, it has served me well. Was the cheapest (decent) wide angle lens I could find.
 
Yep unfortunately the design difficulties for ultra-wide makes a $100-$200 zoom near impossible to produce. Saver yer £'s till you can afford the cheaper ones like the Sigma 10-20 which with a little luck be found for $300 range.

The other recommends cost even more.
.
 
I have the Tokina 12-24 f/4 and love it! It really is a nice lens. And i say this being use to the sharpness of my Nikon 24-70 2.8 and Nikon 70-200 2.8. I have had a ton of use with it on my D90 and am now using it on my D7000. Its sharp wide open and even better stopped down to f5.6 and f8.

Ya having the 11-16 @ f2.8 would be nice. But the extra range of the 12-24 is better for me. I really only find myself using the 12-24 outside, so having a f2.8 wide angle is not a huge advantage for me ATM.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom