Just getting into photography, tell me what you think :)

bryan05s

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I just recently bought a nikon FE2 from craigslist.. does anyone have any specific comments about this camera? Is it quality or should I try to get a different one?

I'm new to this forum (just registered) so I apologize if I say something outlandishly noobish, just want to know what you guys think of my pictures and tips I could do to improve the quality of them (Some are pretty out of focus, any tips of getting a good focus would help too :D)

3117004071_c43a42d262.jpg

3097316340_7de96ac79d.jpg

3097315830_8e287037cc.jpg

3117832036_2d027ec30b.jpg

3117831114_87ae7f642c.jpg

Thanks guys, again sorry if I did something completely noob :D haha

I really like the third one. The first two look like snapshots to me. And remember Its the person taking the picture not the camera that makes pictures better.

Thanks for the good word Jazsek :) What do you mean by snapshots?

Thanks for the good word Jazsek :) What do you mean by snapshots?

what he means is just some guy walking around taking pictures with a point and shoot type of thing no real signifigance to the pictures...they all seem like snapshots the third one could have been good if been more of just a focus on the guy itself maybe something to show his lifes pains trials and tribulations type of thing...just something to think about....

I disagree with everyone saying that it looks like a snapshot. I won't lie there are some snapshot characteristics about them though. Like in the first one and the third one the subject is dead center in the middle of the frame. Usually one will find more appeal if it is off center a little. One thing one of my photo teachers used to tell me is to get closer to the subject, don't let there be so much going on in the background. I think the picture of the homeless man would be excellent with a different crop so that the background isn't so busy or so you are more up close to him to make the shot more about him. That's just my two cents though. I think your on the right track though so keep it up.

I disagree with everyone saying that it looks like a snapshot. I won't lie there are some snapshot characteristics about them though. Like in the first one and the third one the subject is dead center in the middle of the frame. Usually one will find more appeal if it is off center a little. One thing one of my photo teachers used to tell me is to get closer to the subject, don't let there be so much going on in the background. I think the picture of the homeless man would be excellent with a different crop so that the background isn't so busy or so you are more up close to him to make the shot more about him. That's just my two cents though. I think your on the right track though so keep it up.

Thanks for the advice, I will try to get closer to my subjects. This is one I took today, if it is a possible improvement

3123846097_a7fe4a6b05.jpg

i really like the homeless man one, but i think it would have been stronger closer up and from a different angle-there is a lot going on and the cars in the background are distracting.

i also do like the second one of the girl looking at makeup- even though it has snapshot qualities and the subject is centered, the linear setup and blur of the aisles to the left and right draw your eyes right in to the subject.

I agree with the comments about the 3rd shot; a lot of potenial there but too far away and the background far too cluttered!

Let me be the first to say that an FE2 is a solid camera, and should not limit you at all. I started out with a digital SLR, and I honestly have more fun with my 35mm SLRs now.

I like the look of these- keep up the good work.

These are actually very nice "man on the street" shots. If the person in #1 had been looking at us, or we could get a grab of her face it wold have been even better. They all work if you ask me. They don't look at all like "snapshots" to me - they have a character, quality and color to them that is most definitely NOT evident in snapshot photos.

I haven't noticed how distracting those cars were until now, perhaps next time I'll use the brush in lightroom to try to make the colors less flashy in the background, and I'll pay more attention to whats in the whole picture as opposed to just the main subject :) Thanks for all the kind words guys

Most reactions

New Topics

Back