Just Getting Started...

We are quick to say your not ready because I looked at your shots of the young girls and they are not even in focus or is that artistic

Ah...tough guy. Ever had a bad shot that other people just seemed to dig? Then after a while you start thinking, well maybe it was a good shot and I'm being too critical? Apparently, I wasn't. You are right.

Anybody here need a camera? I think I'm going to finally hang it up after 15 years...
If it's digital you can keep it

Sticks and stones ma' friend! If it makes you feel any better....I spent an entire semester in a darkroom in college lol And I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Wow what is one semester ? 6 months or 12 months

Well...it's more like 5 months, but CLEARLY enough to make me an expert! No? Really?

Free - of course people liked the photos, they got something for free. That doesn't seem like the best way to gauge your work. Look up other portrait photographers etc. in your area, established photographers that have been around awhile - your work needs to compete with that. Your pricing could be at the lower end of the going rate in your area but underpricing is just bringing photography down as a potential business for photographers, whether it's full or part time. Or an option would be doing occasional photos for family/friends as mentioned, or for a charitable purpose.

For resources try American Society of Media Photographers or PPA.

Wow what is one semester ? 6 months or 12 months

Well...it's more like 5 months, but CLEARLY enough to make me an expert! No? Really?
It takes years to be an expert in the darkroom

Apparently you didn't catch my sarcasm...

There are no experts, only experienced.

You need thick skin if you want true C&C.
The "real" photographers here can be "nice" or can lead you to a "slaughter". It all depends upon how your portray yourself as an "expert" or a "newbie".

I just checked some of your photos and I'm no PRO .. but I see many issues with them technically. Whether you did that "artistically" or not, I would think not from your other posts about technical issues.

But use this forum as a place to improve upon your techniques. Not only photographic techniques but your equipment. Your artistic background can be of great help once you get past the technical problems.

your post such as this
This could seriously be a big face palm for some, but I'm having difficulty figuring out how to focus on a subject (face or what have you) that isn't centered
Will get your replies of .. "read the manual" and stuff like that.
But, if like me, reading the manual when I got my d7000 a few years ago didn't help. I actually got a "how to master the nikon d7000" book. And I read that from front to back and played with every feature on the camera. NOW the manual makes sense when I refer to it.

And don't take anything from people saying "looks great" (another of your threads).
I have seen some absolute horrible facebook portraits of people that get replies of "looks great", "you're absolutely beautiful" etc etc from their friends and family when in fact, technically (or any way you want to put it) the photos were over exposed, fuzzy, washed out and just plain bad and this was all in ONE photo I recall. I would never hire a photographer like that again (and the person didn't later on).

So you have to be your own worst critic of your photography.

And on this forum it can seem like everyone else is too. But take it as positive comments and redo something and repost to see if you can improve upon one particular technique ... like focusing on a subject on the left of the screen either by changing your focus point, or focus / focus lock and recompose.

Also .. when you mention "business" around here then you are considered a professional NO MATTER HOW MUCH OR LITTLE money you charge. Anything over $800 revenue by the IRS is considered a business.
Income & Expenses
Five Basic Tax Tips about Hobbies
Business or Hobby? Answer Has Implications for Deductions

and you may consider a "hobby" as something at home.
The IRS considers a "hobby" by another means.
then a "business" in everyone eye's is a Business.

But sometimes a hobby that interacts with people requires all the business licenses and such. If you show up at a park and want to do a "quick" wedding photoshoot, larger cities may interrupt and want to see your business license and City Permit, irregardless of what you think because they see a "business." Such as this example: Weddings - The Official Website of Central Park NYC

So be careful what you call it and how your operate ...
But overall, there are probably hundreds of photography "businesses" in my area that don't have one permit or insurance of anything and are charging (and most of them probably technically are not very good).

The "real" photographers here can be "nice" or can lead you to a "slaughter". It all depends upon how your portray yourself as an "expert" or a "newbie".

I just checked some of your photos and I'm no PRO .. but I see many issues with them technically. Whether you did that "artistically" or not, I would think not from your other posts about technical issues.

But use this forum as a place to improve upon your techniques. Not only photographic techniques but your equipment. Your artistic background can be of great help once you get past the technical problems.

your post such as this
This could seriously be a big face palm for some, but I'm having difficulty figuring out how to focus on a subject (face or what have you) that isn't centered
But, if like me, reading the manual when I got my d7000 a few years ago didn't help. I actually got a "how to master the nikon d7000" book. And I read that from front to back and played with every feature on the camera. NOW the manual makes sense when I refer to it.

And don't take anything from people saying "looks great" (another of your threads).
I have seen some absolute horrible facebook portraits of people that get replies of "looks great", "you're absolutely beautiful" etc etc from their friends and family when in fact, technically (or any way you want to put it) the photos were over exposed, fuzzy, washed out and just plain bad and this was all in ONE photo I recall. I would never hire a photographer like that again (and the person didn't later on).

And on this forum it can seem like everyone else is too. But take it as positive comments and redo something and repost to see if you can improve upon one particular technique ... like focusing on a subject on the left of the screen either by changing your focus point, or focus / focus lock and recompose.

Also .. when you mention "business" around here then you are considered a professional NO MATTER HOW MUCH OR LITTLE money you charge. Anything over $800 revenue by the IRS is considered a business.
Income & Expenses

But sometimes a hobby that interacts with people requires all the business licenses and such. If you show up at a park and want to do a "quick" wedding photoshoot, larger cities may interrupt and want to see your business license and City Permit, irregardless of what you think because they see a "business." Such as this example: Weddings - The Official Website of Central Park NYC

But overall, there are probably hundreds of photography "businesses" in my area that don't have one permit or insurance of anything and are charging (and most of them probably technically are not very good).

Thanks so much for that!

I think I may just keep it a hobby for now. Yes, I do have some technical issues to iron out, and I will get there. I didn't realize that the word business was a hot button issue here. Sounds like it is. I also understand critiquing and how it generally works and I don't have thin skin. This is an internet forum and nothing more. You don't like me or my work? Doesn't change my day one bit.

Anyways, thanks for the warm welcome and bits of advice.

I did some portraits for a friend a couple weeks ago. Free stuff.

Technically they were pretty good. Except I forgot to tighten the background, which was muslin stuff (seamless paper has a distinct advantage except for storage space). So in some photos you can see it just kinda drapped in the background with some OOF.

So technically I want to bin everything due to the background oops. I have clips to make the background tight so it disappears. But she liked them.

On another note, she did trip (though didn't fall) on my background that was curved up past her on the floor. One of those "insurance" moments. I prefer outside or at the person's house for shots (then I don't have to clean my basement up too which is used by my kids for everything).

on another note. Looking at people's "professionally" paid for Christmas photos on Facebook I see a lot of wrinkled muslin backgrounds, some vinyl backgrounds that only go to the floor and such. And many OOF shots on eyes, faces, and multiple people. Eye Positioning for family shots, etc. So people are out there charging and doing work that I would just throw away or at the very least, cringe at and give away for free. BUT, that's the problem with being a photographer, you critique your own work to improve (and about any other professional, or hobby).

I did some portraits for a friend a couple weeks ago. Free stuff.

Technically they were pretty good. Except I forgot to tighten the background, which was muslin stuff (seamless paper has a distinct advantage except for storage space). So in some photos you can see it just kinda drapped in the background with some OOF.

So technically I want to bin everything due to the background oops. I have clips to make the background tight so it disappears. But she liked them.

On another note, she did trip (though didn't fall) on my background that was curved up past her on the floor. One of those "insurance" moments. I prefer outside or at the person's house for shots (then I don't have to clean my basement up too which is used by my kids for everything).

on another note. Looking at people's "professionally" paid for Christmas photos on Facebook I see a lot of wrinkled muslin backgrounds, some vinyl backgrounds that only go to the floor and such. And many OOF shots on eyes, faces, and multiple people. Eye Positioning for family shots, etc. So people are out there charging and doing work that I would just throw away or at the very least, cringe at and give away for free. BUT, that's the problem with being a photographer, you critique your own work to improve (and about any other professional, or hobby).

Haha, I get that!

You know, I think what has set me back the most is how different people's eyes are and what they like. This is why I ultimately dropped out of graphic design and went into engineering. I remember sitting in 2D Drawing class and we had to tape our work to the wall. The teacher made us critique another student's work and I had to critique a piece that I genuinely liked. I made up some stuff about composition, contrast, and shading techniques on the fruit, but all in all I liked it. The teacher then went on a rampage tearing the girl's work apart (and eventually mine).

I thought to myself that day, "How can someone tear apart another person's work of art when I find it visually pleasing?" That has stuck with me ever since. I see photos on this forum that I think are fantastic and yet, they get ripped apart. And, I see photos that I don't see what's so great about them and they get praised.

... I see photos on this forum that I think are fantastic and yet, they get ripped apart. And, I see photos that I don't see what's so great about them and they get praised.
And there you have art in a nutshell. "I'm not know much about it, but I know what I like!" Art, and the liking or disliking of it, is purely subjective. I might love an image that you would look at and wonder why it was even taken, and vice-versa.

Also, don't mistake thorough critique for bashing. If you want to see photographers flayed alive, sit in on a PPoC/PPA Portrait Salon Judging Panel. One of the talents that most experienced artists and teachers have is the ability to be objective (more or less).

... I see photos on this forum that I think are fantastic and yet, they get ripped apart. And, I see photos that I don't see what's so great about them and they get praised.
And there you have art in a nutshell. "I'm not know much about it, but I know what I like!" Art, and the liking or disliking of it, is purely subjective. I might love an image that you would look at and wonder why it was even taken, and vice-versa.

Also, don't mistake thorough critique for bashing. If you want to see photographers flayed alive, sit in on a PPoC/PPA Portrait Salon Judging Panel. One of the talents that most experienced artists and teachers have is the ability to be objective (more or less).

So true!

your post such as this

Income & Expenses

Thanks so much for that!

I think I may just keep it a hobby for now. Yes, I do have some technical issues to iron out, and I will get there. I didn't realize that the word business was a hot button issue here. Sounds like it is. I also understand critiquing and how it generally works and I don't have thin skin. This is an internet forum and nothing more. You don't like me or my work? Doesn't change my day one bit.

Anyways, thanks for the warm welcome and bits of advice.
I quite like you, you have thick skin and can take a bashing

Most reactions

New Topics

Back