Just got a camera today!

ChefStaller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
On cloudy days the lighting gets pretty flat and uninteresting. It also becomes difficult separating a subject from the background.

That's where supplimental lighting (preferably strobed (flash)) comes in handy. Not only can you isolate your subject with the strobed light and the lens aperture, you can also use the camera's shutter speed to simultainously control the ambient light exposure of the background and really make your subjects 'pop'.

Checkout some of the guidelines for visual art composition like using thirds, framing (horizontal and vertical), color complementarity, shape, form, leading lines, etc.

Yep, keep reading up on composition and what makes an interesting image. Think about what you are trying to show and tell with the image. Images of random things done at typical angles aren't usually interesting.

I think the third one has potential if it weren't underexposed. A little more PP would probably make it a tad more appealing. The 5th one seems a bit boring--there isn't much going on in it. Maybe if you had someone in it fiddling with that water pump? (if that's what it is.)

A great book for anyone new to photography is Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. He explains in easy terms aperture vs shutter vs ISO and also gets into some basic composition tips. There are a few exercises in there as well.

I bought it (from multiple recommendations from people on this site who are no longer here) and read it while I was taking some entry level classes and the book did a great job covering the basics

Slightly. Exposure is still dark, framing is more appealing, seems that the focus in on the flower not the butterfly. Maybe a levels adjustment to bring in the whites / highlights?

best to try and get it right in camera first instead of in post processing.

Im had a bit of a tough time with exposures yesterday, felt like my meter was lying to me. But, that was day 1, day two will be on its way tomorrow I hope, going to try to get downtown early. Honestly Nature shots are not my thing, but the park was the best availible option at the time.

I've added you as a contact on Flickr. I think you definitely have potential and you're on the right track. If your exposures just aren't turning out 'right', or are confusing you, try checking out these exposure lessons:

Exposure Lessons, in order Stop Shooting Auto!

They're free, and the easiest to understand introductory guide to both exposures and how your camera works that I've found yet.

I've added you as a contact on Flickr. I think you definitely have potential and you're on the right track. If your exposures just aren't turning out 'right', or are confusing you, try checking out these exposure lessons:

Exposure Lessons, in order Stop Shooting Auto!

They're free, and the easiest to understand introductory guide to both exposures and how your camera works that I've found yet.

Thank you, once figure out where my contacts are I will check out you work, haa ha

Most reactions

Back