Just got a D90

dataz722

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A couple days ago I got a Nikon D90 with the 18-105VR Kit lens and also a 55-200 4-5.6ED lens. I also have the UV filter for both lenses and a polarizing for the kit lens. I need some suggestions and opinions on various things though.

First- I got the Tamrac Velocity 7x bag. I really like the concept of this bag (you can just swing it around to the front and pull the camera out) but it seems waaay to small. I want to be able to carry just about everything I have now and still have a little room to expand. Currently I holds the camera and both lenses and thats about it. I can get the charger in there and cram some wire but nothing else. I have 30 days to return the bag but I dont know what I should get. Any suggestions as to something that is similar but be able to hold everything much better? I don't want something huge either.

I am thinking about getting a spare battery. Is there only one battery for the D90 or is there an "extra capacity" one available?

Are there any other odds and ends that I should get now too? I want a flash but that won't be for a while.

Last thing is about books. I think today I am going to run out and get the Understanding Exposure book that everyone on here reccomends. Is there any other books that I should get? Are the camera specific books (magic lantern) worth getting?

I know that was a lot for one post but thanks in advance.

A couple days ago I got a Nikon D90 with the 18-105VR Kit lens and also a 55-200 4-5.6ED lens. I also have the UV filter for both lenses and a polarizing for the kit lens. I need some suggestions and opinions on various things though.

First- I got the Tamrac Velocity 7x bag. I really like the concept of this bag (you can just swing it around to the front and pull the camera out) but it seems waaay to small. I want to be able to carry just about everything I have now and still have a little room to expand. Currently I holds the camera and both lenses and thats about it. I can get the charger in there and cram some wire but nothing else. I have 30 days to return the bag but I dont know what I should get. Any suggestions as to something that is similar but be able to hold everything much better? I don't want something huge either.

I am thinking about getting a spare battery. Is there only one battery for the D90 or is there an "extra capacity" one available?

Are there any other odds and ends that I should get now too? I want a flash but that won't be for a while.

Last thing is about books. I think today I am going to run out and get the Understanding Exposure book that everyone on here reccomends. Is there any other books that I should get? Are the camera specific books (magic lantern) worth getting?

I know that was a lot for one post but thanks in advance.

I don't know what type of photography you will be doing, but since I will be out of doors most of the time, I am getting this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Nova-180-Bordeaux-Red/dp/B001B0B2H8/ref=rsl_mainw_dpl?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER"]Lowepro Nova 180[/ame]. I actually saw the 170 in a store and found it to be too small for growth. There is a video on the Lowepro site if interested. The only problem I see with this line is that they don't have those rubber thingies on the bottom for when you sit the bag down on the ground. But my current bag is from this manufacturer and it is such a good bag. It's all I will use. (And yes, my current bag has those rubber "thingies" on the bottom lol.)

About the battery, look on the Nikon site for more information to see what they support. Also dpreview.com has detailed information on some cameras. Look there as well.

As far as books, search Amazon.com and read the reviews. See what you think would help you. Also, abebooks.com is a great place to get good deals on books.

Hope that helps. Perhaps someone with more experience will stop by. ;)

1. Look into Lowepro slingshot bags. I have one (I think it's a 300) that is a nice sling bag that holds everything. I have my camera, all my cables and batteries, chargers, an external flash and 6 lenses in there (kinda holding a few of my moms because her bag is too small). A simple google search can pull it up for you. The 300 runs about $100 or $120 and the smaller 200 is about $80.
2. The D90 can only use one battery at a time - the EN-EL3e. you can however buy a battery grip that will have capacity for 2 En-EL3e or 6 AA batteries. It is model mb-d80. pretty nice for portrait shooting because it has a shutter button and both sub and main control dials on the grip. that is currently running approx. $160
3. have a decent tripod? a tripod and the wireless remote is great for long exposures, bulb mode, and self portraits. a gp-1 (Nikon's gps unit) can be attached to your camera for geotagging photos from vacation. could be useful if you ever want to know where you saw the best sunsets on vacation, where that awesome waterfall you found on a hike was, etc.
4. the Understanding Exposure book should serve you well. I only have that and a digital underwater photography book, so I can't offer much more advice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back