What's new

Just got a Nikon D5100

MegMoore042

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 25, 2012
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
Virginia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everybody! I am new to this forum and photography in general. I have always been interested in photography and would love to advance at it. I just purchased a Nikon D5100. I have only played with it, mostly in auto. I really have no idea what I am doing and have been trying to do research on the internet. These are a couple pictures that I have taken so far. Please feel free to tell me how to improve or what to do differently. I may not know what you are talking about as far as terms, but I will def try lol!
image_zps507af894.jpeg

dodgerjordyn1_zps7cbf0882.jpeg

dodger1_zps15cddb31.jpeg

dodgerface_zps93de31ee.jpeg


Also, what is the best way to learn about photography? There are classes that I can take at the local art museum. Would you recommend taking this?
 
I am getting mine boxing day, I can' wait!
 
I personally think that for a starter, those photos are real nice.
 
Not bad for your first try. The last one is your strongest, in pretty much every aspect.

Get out of auto, would be my first advice. Learn about exposure and how to manipulate that in camera with the different settings. The composition could use some work as well. There are many resources for info on that subject.

What kind of post processing (editing) are you doing? It looks like tone-mapping or pseudo-HDR from here; either way, I'd say it's a bit over cooked. Are you shooting in RAW? Unless you are shooting sports-journalism or something else that has a super fast turn around time (assuming you are not since you are new to this), RAW is the way to go; JPEGS get processed in-camera, giving you less control over the final product.

Check out reviews on workshops, many are overpriced for what they offer. You will learn more in a smaller group as the instructor will be able to give more individualized instruction. An introduction to DSLR type class would, at this point, be most beneficial. The user's manual is a wealth of knowledge as well ;)
 
Thank you everybody! As far as post processing, I used pixlr. I havent purchased anything, that one is free. I am not sure what I am shooting in, but I will def check it and make sure it is RAW. As far as workshops, I found a 6 week class at our local art museum that I think I will do. I have been going through the manual and youtube. Def trying to learn about the basics and terminology.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom