Just got an Olympus E-510!

ryan0480

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone, I have been a member for some time, reading posts and whatnot, trying to learn more about photography, so I wouldnt be clueless when I bought my first DSLR.

So I got (what I believe is) a great deal on an Olympus E-510 (with 14-40mm kit lens)from a liquidating Circuit City for about $260, and finally took the plunge!

I had a few questions for anyone reading this:

I am having difficulty taking indoor pictures in low light. More specifically, using the flash to illuminate the subject without making them too bright or overexposed. When I have tried to lower the power of the flash, everything seems to be turning more blueish. Should I be changing the white balance or the EV to compensate for this to have a more evenly exposed image? I have usually been shooting in either Manual or Aperture priority modes.

My other question is about the in camera noise reduction. In a review I read of this camera, I saw that some people felt the in camera noise reduction made pictures soft looking, and that by turning off the NR and decreasing the sharpness, a more pleasing picture could be had. Any Olympus users out there have any experience with this?

Last question is about the image stabilization feature. The menus list IS1 and IS2, is one just more powerful than the other, or do each have certain conditions it is more suitable to use in?

Thanks a lot for the feedback if you leave any!

I am having difficulty taking indoor pictures in low light. More specifically, using the flash to illuminate the subject without making them too bright or overexposed. When I have tried to lower the power of the flash, everything seems to be turning more blueish. Should I be changing the white balance or the EV to compensate for this to have a more evenly exposed image? I have usually been shooting in either Manual or Aperture priority modes.
I would recommend not using the WB until you learn which different light sources give what color in photos. As for the overexposure, you may be metering on too dark an area of the photo. If your camera allows it, try metering on a highlight, and then locking it before recomposing and pressing the shutter. Flash photography is not easy, but you will learn as you go.
My other question is about the in camera noise reduction. In a review I read of this camera, I saw that some people felt the in camera noise reduction made pictures soft looking, and that by turning off the NR and decreasing the sharpness, a more pleasing picture could be had. Any Olympus users out there have any experience with this?
I can't speak for all cameras, but on my Nikon P5100 P&S, I basically use auto noise reduction. I know it reduces the resolution a little, but never so much as to be soft. It sure beats the hell out of noise.

Shoot some flash shots on Auto and see how it does. You can control power there, too.

In reviews I've read on the camera, the NR is a little strong at the factory setting and does take away some from sharpness. You can set that down to low or medium and see how it does.

As for the IS, no, one is not more powerful but they do have different functions. IS2 for panning.

Turn off NR and do it on computer with a better program like noise ninja.

You say that you lurked in the forum for a while and still bought an Olympus.. Why?

Hey thanks for the link, it looks very helpfull.

Very helpful for me. Just stroll through his site and you will learn a lot. He has all lenses that are available. I found it because of his article regarding Infra red with the e-510

You say that you lurked in the forum for a while and still bought an Olympus.. Why?

Hey I went to your chronicles and it looks like you could use an Olympus. I see a lot of your pictures the horizon is not straight. Poor Nikons.

Thanks for the responses, guys, they are a lot of help.

I turned the WB back to auto for the time being, and the pictures have reflected a more natural look, so thats good.

Thanks for the info on the IS1 and 2...I know it is in the book, but the book is not the most well written and find myself demotivated to read it due to that.

Thanks for the link, I am going to start reading it now.

Hey I went to your chronicles and it looks like you could use an Olympus. I see a lot of your pictures the horizon is not straight. Poor Nikons.

Damn crooked Nikons.... And Chevy's suck, too! There!! How's that for offensive.... LOL

Most reactions

New Topics

Back