Just got my first camera.

dwight

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My first post!

I have a bunch of pictures at http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3222d91a45d&notag=1 (just incase this doesn't work.

47b3d830b3127cce89348e9a8f9d0000000610

one of the first pictures I took

47b3d830b3127cce89348e8c8f8b0000000610

I like the light in this one

47b3d830b3127cce89348f794ed60000000610

I don't know why, but I just like this one

These were taken with a Sony DSC-F717

Hi Dwight,
Great shots!
I'm interested in the camera as well, you mentioned it was a Sony DSC-F717 and in the "What should I buy" section I asked if anyone had experience with that camera.
I'd love to hear your comments.
Thanks Dwight and welcome aboard.
Regards,
Mrsid99

This camera is really nice... I don't have any experience with any other "real" camera.

You can turn off the digital zoom (which is nice... but I am going to experiment with it because I am out of money to buy a telephoto lens)

Works fine with my Powerbook

It has a digital viewfinder in addition to the display on the back... I thought I'd use the viewfinder more than I do... I think this is because the lens swivels (about 45 degrees down and almost 90 degrees up) Kinda nice to get shots of people because they tend to look at my face, and my camera is down near my stomach :)

I bought a 128MB Mem stick... The 32 that comes with it only holds one picture at maximum resolution...

(I am trying to think of things that aren't on the box)

The shutter speed only goes from 30 seconds to 1/1000th... I'd like to take some longer ones and some shorter ones... say 24 hrs to 1/10000th

I find myself taking 2048x1536 because the 2560x1920 takes a while...

There is a Tiff mode... no Raw though

It does accept the new memory sticks... up to 1GB (although that one costs more than the camera)

Any other questions? I'd be glad to answer them

TIFF is an uncompressed image. Esentially what a RAW image is.

Good first round with your camera. I think the first one needs a wider DOF to at least include the statues entire head. Along with the hair.

It seems cut off at the bottom. but the light is nice because you have that white wall behind to reflect some light :)

Thanks Dwight but I'm more interested in how does it operate in low/no light? and I don't know if you've used other digital cameras but one problem is the delay from when you press the button to when the shutter operates, I'm told the Sony is very fast in this respect, is it?
Any C.A. (purple fringes) on high zoom?
Have you tried it on moving objects? this will tell the tale.
How's the battery life? Is a spare battery a good idea?
The biggest complaint I've heard about the camera is that it's awkward to use with that big lump of a lens sticking out in front, I believe it would be OK but what's your thoughts?
What's your dislikes with the camera?
Thanks Dwight.
Regards,
Mrsid99

I'm told the Sony is very fast in this respect, is it?

Same speed as regular shot...

Any C.A. (purple fringes) on high zoom?

Haven't noticed, but will tell if it happens

Have you tried it on moving objects? this will tell the tale.

my ceiling fan :) the 1/1000 sec worked ok... and you can take 3 quick shots... but haven't done this extensively

How's the battery life? Is a spare battery a good idea?

Havent really pushed it, but I used it all day yesterday without pluging it in (not constantly, but you know... probalby 50 or so pics spread throughout the day, about 3 downloads...) to kinda see how it would last, and the battery said more than 100 minutes left... I guess it depends on what you want to do... I just have my power plug beside my computer and plug it in when I am not using it

The biggest complaint I've heard about the camera is that it's awkward to use with that big lump of a lens sticking out in front, I believe it would be OK but what's your thoughts?

I really like it, but I have thought of getting a pocket camera for keeping with me... It is like any nice camera... need a bag... stuff like that

What's your dislikes with the camera?

besides not slow/fast enough shutter speed, nothing yet

voodoocat said:
TIFF is an uncompressed image. Esentially what a RAW image is.

Good first round with your camera. I think the first one needs a wider DOF to at least include the statues entire head. Along with the hair.

It seems cut off at the bottom. but the light is nice because you have that white wall behind to reflect some light :)

I have some others of her, but I really liked that one...

What is DOF?

47b3d830b3127cce89348f68cff70000000610

I think the LCD shows a little more around the outside than it captures, but I'm not sure... I didn't purposefully cut off the top of the head

Thanks for the input Dwight, keep having fun with that camera and let us know the good and the bad you find with it.
Regards,
Mrsid99

One annoying thing (but hasn't bothered me that much... will if you are more serious than me) is that its normal mode is JPEG, not TIFF. TIFF takes 30+ seconds to capture the picture (you dont' have to hold the camera still for that time, but you can't take more pictures)

ooh i like the last one u posted the best
the angle is good and makes her far more interesting to look at.
pretty shot!

Most reactions

Back