Just got my new toys

CxThree

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Sunpak 120J just showed up today and my Westcott Apollo Speedlite Kit will be here in a day or two.

I have really been getting into the look Zack Arias gets and recently watched his OneLight Workshop DVD. I hope to get some time this weekend to play around with some shots with this new stuff. I will update you guys when I do.

If you have used the Sunpak 120J and have some advice or feedback, please let me know.

I really like the Sunpack 120j... its too bad that it has been discontinued and parts for it cost an arm and a leg. You were lucky to even find one!

I made a small bracket and placed 2 SB-600s into my Apollo softboxes (I have both the 28 and 50 inch ones), and it is slightly more powerful than a single 120j... and if I want to, I can fit a 1,000 W/s Photogenic studio head in there for overpowering bright mid day sun... gotta love the Apollo softboxes, they are very versatile.

That said... The "Zack Arias look" in those videos are very very basic and easy to do with just about any off camera light source, he doesn't even use gels much for artistic purposes, just straight flash either in or out of a softbox.

I soon discovered that I loved his OneLight DVDs, but they are very easy to move beyond in a short time.

So which softbox did you get, the 28, 50 or both?

Thanks Jerry.

I got the 28x28 but I can already feel the desire or the "big mama" :) I plan on getting it in the near future and then some kind of external power source at some point so that I can potentially use my speedotron heads in the field from time to time. Just nice to have the ability to take high power light with me if needed.

I think my 5D MKII will be the next purchase, but the apollo 50 will be right behind it.

BTW. Beach camera has the 28x28 apollo on ebay for $109 which seemed to be a really good price. It was the speedlite kit, so it comes with the umbrella swivel adapter too. I already have that part, but who can turn down a bargain? :) Not me.

I like that bracket. That's a great idea.

I agree with what you are saying about Zack's stuff. It's not rocket science, but its inspirational to me. I like his style and have learned quite a bit from his blog. I would really like to go to one of his workshops, but they are pretty expensive.

I would love to go to workshops from Joe, Zack, and Cliff. Thats a lot of $$$ though.
I'll just stick to the books and shooting on my own to learn it. :)

Oh. I forgot. Do you have any pictures posted with that used the dual speedlight setup in the apollo?

Jerry, if you are reading this thread, What power pack do you use with your Sunpak? I used batteries today and it was SLOW. ;)

I do not have the sunpack, though I have searched for a good deal on one without success. I use SB-600s, SB-80DX or an SB-800 in them... or the real big momma... a Photogenic 1000 W/s studio head and I have a Vagabond II battery pack that powers it for the times I want portability.

Using the double SB-600s in CLS mode I took this shot:
3479100830_2a432643a6.jpg

This was with the 28" Westcott softbox holding 2 SB-600s with manually controlled power via CLS. Softbox was about 20 feet back from the subjects lighting a huge area, but causing pretty harsh shadows. I should have brought it in right close for best effect, but I was playing and seeing how far I could get before the lights in the softbox no longer worked... in the end, the room was too small... about 40 feet as they flashes kept triggering no matter where I placed the softbox. :)

Last edited:
Thanks a ton. Wow. Thats great coverage for that box. Mine came in today so I look forward to some test shots this weekend. I need to get a boom arm now and make some sandbags. :)

Unit will only do full output. No Auto or reduced power outputs. Also can only power unit with external HV power pack. Internal AA batteries no good. Would like to repair rather then dump. With needed information would like to repair myself.

Most reactions

Back