Just Handed This In For My First Class Assignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ballistics

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score

A#157 by Compressed Memories, on Flickr

Long story short, our first assignment was due today and I received an A for this picture.
The assignment in a nutshell was photograph something on campus that we could use for an imaginary school calender. There's more to it but the rest is unnecessary.
I took the picture to high and left out a toe, but what can you do? lol.

Yeah, the toe cutting off, was the first thing I noticed. At least you got an A, surprised the teacher didn't dock you points for that.

As stated, the cutting-off of the toe definitely detracts from the photo. The photo also seems a touch on the warm side.

I would take pics of hot girls on campus hahah

And the background is very distracting, there must have been a better angle to shoot from, to me it just looks like you walked up to it and took a shot without walking around and studying the shot

Jesus guys lol. It's an Intro course... and I am a beginner. Loosen up on the standards a bit.

It's an intro but you have hung out on this forum long enough to know better than that.

Having said that, how does the missing toe detract from the photo?

It's an intro but you have hung out on this forum long enough to know better than that.
Eh, Not really. I have no idea why it does, I just see people complain about it all the time.

Jesus guys lol. It's an Intro course... and I am a beginner. Loosen up on the standards a bit.

Loosen up on the standards?? Huh?? ...Somehow that shot received an "A"...you have already been the beneficiary of loose standards where it counts--on your first assignment grade. The cropping off of the bottom of the statue is a critical error--it ruins the psychological "base" for the photo, as well as the actual, real-world base of the statue...

The lighting is okay, and the exposure seems adequately close to right. Not sure what age group you fall into, but for a beginner's shot, this is probably better than many...I'd grade it in the B to B+ range I think...to me A-level work can have only minor nits to pick, with no major flaws in the photo as presented. Keep shooting though, and keep working on things and the class will probably pay off for you. I am always glad to hear about a person who is actually taking a class in a photo-related area.

Does it bother you if I show you the Eiffel tower but I cut off the top of the tower a little? Same thing.

Yeah sorry I would have given you a C as well. The missing toe is just distracting. But not as distracting as the background. its very bright and my eye is drawn away from the statue to it, and then gets lost in all those railings / skylight lines. If thats harsh sorry...but thats art!

could you have gotten lower and shot upwards with just the skylight in the background?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back