Just in case they decide to build the town later...

Very cool shot. Its funny when the highest point for a multi-square mile radius is a fire hydrant... lol :)

This is obviously for the field. I'm guessing the owner of that field is very pyrophobic.

That is ONE cool sky! And the lonely fire hydrant in shiny red is such a cool (should I say "hot"?) landmark against the (seemingly) neverending rape field! (In Canada you say "canola", I know).

Well, I guess, however, that a fire hydrant in the middle of nowhere makes sense, after all, since there can even be fires in the middle of nowhere. All around here (where I live) is as flat as can be seen in this photo, too, and equally rural, with large patches being swamp land, too. And more often than you would think, there's a fire there since not all patches are totally wet ground. And depending on where there is the fire the firefighters often face problems in getting any water to the site, their hoses don't reach, not even from nearby lakes ... I've read as much in the paper only the other day. That's why I'm giving you this useless snippet of information ;). Sorry for rambling.

Colors look a bit weird to me... I wonder if this monitor is off. Too much red... maybe?

This is obviously for the field. I'm guessing the owner of that field is very pyrophobic.
And depending on where there is the fire the firefighters often face problems in getting any water to the site, their hoses don't reach, not even from nearby lakes ...
That might very well be the case, but believe me this is the first time that I've seen something like this, ever. There are plenty of canola fields right outside of the city, but none of them (other than this one) features a hydrant. This is just weird.

Colors look a bit weird to me... I wonder if this monitor is off. Too much red... maybe?
The colours look a bit off on my LCD monitor, but perfect on my CRT (which is the one I use for photography).

Thanks for looking and for your comments everyone!

The colours look a bit off on my LCD monitor, but perfect on my CRT (which is the one I use for photography)

I had a look again on my LCD monitor at home (which is color corrected), and the colors do look a bit off here as well. It may just be that the color of the scene was different than I'm expecting.

Just for fun I tossed it into Photoshop and horsed around with it. My results and Photoshop's auto-levels were fairly similar. I did a composite with your colors and my version in the same image below...

[ IMAGE REMOVED PER OP REQUEST ]

(my color version on the left)

I actually don't think my colors are QUITE right either... but I think they may be closer.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that if your monitor isn't color corrected, you may want to look into getting that done. Doing it well requires a physical tool/software like a spyder, though if you have a REEEEEEEALLY good eye sometimes you can do it with a pure software tool... or at least get it pretty close.

Last edited:
My post-processing abilities are limited (to say it kindly), and you have just uncovered what I did to this image. No soup for you. ;)

Cool. As a city planner, I see this type of thing all the time. The owner wants to build a new store or something out there, so he installs a hydrant for future use. I'm guessing it's near the outskirts of a town?

My post-processing abilities are limited (to say it kindly), and you have just uncovered what I did to this image. No soup for you. ;)

Oh, you did that intentionally. Ha, ok. Well, cool! Ignore my foolishness then. :)

Hey... wait a second... your tag before said your images were OK to edit, and now it says they are not. Wha'happened?

Hey... wait a second... your tag before said your images were OK to edit, and now it says they are not. Wha'happened?
Enlightenment :)

Cool. As a city planner, I see this type of thing all the time. The owner wants to build a new store or something out there, so he installs a hydrant for future use. I'm guessing it's near the outskirts of a town?
You guessed right. But believe me: there's literally nothing there other than flatness (and a hydrant).

Thanks again everybody for clicking this thread and commenting.

Last edited:
The yellowish colored one I like more. It has a more ominous feeling to it. I don't know about where you're from, but around here, this is the sort of color the sky gets whenever bad stuff is about to go down, i.e. tornadoes and hailstorms.

I still say the owner is pyrophobic. He probably thought about building even a workshop or house nearby, and paid to have a hydrant installed. Some rich people (though I'm not saying the owner is wealthy) do strange stuff.

Most reactions

Back