Just inherited a Lecia camera. How much is it worth?

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by Climbing.kevin, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Climbing.kevin

Climbing.kevin TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi,
    My father just inherited a Leica M3 with a 50mm f1.4 summilux lens with hood, a light meter, and a flash. He is trying to find out how much it is worth and how much to sell it for.
    To our knowledge it was purchased in 1966. He also has the original box, and the 10th edition leica manual hard back book and catalog.
    I took some photos of it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ronlane

ronlane What's next? Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I got a big jar over half full of change that I've been collecting for years (way before the 2020 change shortage).

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Ysarex

Ysarex Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Go to ebay and if you don't have an account create one. Then do an advanced search and look for the same item as auction sold. Don't pay any attention to what people may be asking look for closed auctions and see what the highest bidder paid. Finding out how much the highest bidder was willing to pay for the same item and looking at multiple sales will tell you it's value.

That one's worth more than Ron's jar of change ;-)

4. Pixeldawg1

Pixeldawg1 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wow, your father is lucky. In good condition and in consideration of everything you have with it, I would think $2,000 US would be a fair price if the camera is working properly, in good condition and with all of the accessories. I think your big market for this is with collectors, so you may be able to get a bit more for it if you have the right buyer. The lens also makes a significant difference as well, so would be good to post this if you intend to sell it. Your lens, the Summilux is also desirable and considered a better quality lens for the Leica, I personally would hang on to it as it will most likely continue to go up in value. The M3 is a highly collectible model and collectors love them, particularly with the meter, it is considered a sexy camera to us collectors. Going to E-bay can be counter-productive and I would recommend you not sell on e-bay. You have to also remember that what someone asks for a camera like this on E-Bay isn't necessarily what they get for the camera when selling it. Many scammers on there and in the collector circles I am in, many of them are getting away from dealing with people on E-bay because of this. Many will buy with PayPal and then claim that there is something wrong with the camera, or that it's "not what they wanted" and will take months to return it, all the while your money is frozen by PayPal and they continue to use the camera or damage it, lose parts etc.. Best bet is to sell locally and in person with the sale being "as is" and final, no refunds.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Current E-bay listings (9) are all over the place. Some with lens, some without. You might need to price and market each item separately to get the best prices.

6. Space Face

Space Face Been spending a lot of time on here!

Top Poster Of Month

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've no idea but welcome.

7. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Price each price separately, sold items. Then add. It's worth more than 2000 for sure. That lens will probably fetch 2,000. The M3, around 1,600, meter 150.00 etc. You will get more selling it yourself. Condition is important, look for haze and fungus. Check shutter speeds, check rangefinder patch. Check meter. I would sell the whole thing in a package because it deserves it but you would probably get more by piece. I would start the bidding at 3,650.00 (whole kit) and see where it goes. My guess is if everything is in excellent, working condition, it will bid out at 4,200.00. I assume it is not some rare M3. You need to do some research for sure. Leica groups on Facebook is a good start.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  8. mjcmt

mjcmt No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That is one camera worth keeping as a collectors camera. I'd keep it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. webestang64

webestang64 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice camera. I asked a fellow worker here at the camera store and he said if it is fully functional and no major defects we would have it in the used section for around $2500 and take no less than $2000.

10. Climbing.kevin

Climbing.kevin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the insight guys. I'll show my father this. I did some more research on it and this might be a transition M3 body since it has a single stroke flim advance lever with a riveted camera strap mounts.

Also I have uploaded photos of the flash and boxes if you were curious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. star camera company

star camera company No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If there’s no pressing need for cash, simply putting that camera away....and holding it, is Money in the Bank. It’s arguably the finest Camera ever built and will Never lose value.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ronlane

ronlane What's next? Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

You can't make that statement. Sure anything they get out of it is profit because it cost them nothing but to say that it will never lose value. There is no way of knowing that. As with all things, it's worth what someone will give you for it at that moment in time.

• Agree Agree x 2