Just inherited a Lecia camera. How much is it worth?

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by Climbing.kevin, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Pixeldawg1

Pixeldawg1 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    That is a lofty amount. I have been collecting for a long time, and have never, ever seen a "normal" used M3 sell for $4,200. I see the body M3's sell for $1100 to $1300, with lens $1800 and with these other items, add an additional $200 or so. All day long.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Pixeldawg1

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have to agree with you that no one known the future and what something will be worth, I have to disagree with some of what you've said based on the probability involved. Leica cameras typically increase in value and are popular with collectors, who will typically shell out the money for one (I have owned them, but not a big fan of them, actually...) and I generally collect for two reasons. First, I have a love and appreciation for these relics and consider them works of art both aesthetically and technically. Next, as a college photography instructor, I use them in my teaching. We are required to teach the history of photography, and what better than holding a chunk of it in your hand? I have a K2 and a Japanese Konica aerial combat cameras from WW2, an 8X10 that predates the Civil War (with the tripod!), Two of Nikon's first cameras (An S and S2 rangefinders), Russian "Cold War era", box cameras from the 1890's, the very first SLR from Japan and on and on. So, value is what someone places on an object and not necessarily the "actual" value. The two are quite different, I think.

3. star camera company

star camera company No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    if You think for ONE minute the pictured M3 kit in this thread is not “Money in the Bank” you are in the wrong hobby. (Period). Collector value is a popularity contest and the M3 won That a long time ago FYI. (Period)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  4. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    If your father wants to sell the kit, just put a price on it, and let it go. Personally, I would be wary of buying an old camera with the intention of using it. I've owned at least 20 very old cameras, none of which I actually used, I just had them for the novelty factor. If your Leica works as it should, then someone will enjoy using it.

5. star camera company

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah but I get it too this is all inherited gear and possibly no one involved is interested in cameras at all. Whether the best the worst or whatever it’s all $ to most people. The op could have just as well been “just inherited a full Triad Fotron Kit” what’s it worth I wanna sell it was my grand pops.

6. Dave Maciak

Dave Maciak No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    That, is a thing of beauty---I agree--keep it.

7. Climbing.kevin

Climbing.kevin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I actually am interested in photography, but just digital. I used to shoot with the 5D mk3 but switched to the A7Rii and A7iii.
    I honestly dont know much about film photography other than used my old disposable cameras and polaroids.

I have posted it on craigslist and facebook marketplace since I've never sold things online before.

1966 Leica M3 with 50mm f1.4 Summilux lens, light meter MR, flash,...

1966 Leica M3 35mm rangefinder camera with 50mm 1.4 summilux lens, light meter, flash, cases, manual

8. star camera company

Photos OK to edit
    Do NOT let that go Cheap!!!!!! You may do good selling to Tamarkin. That’s a Quality item.

9. Pixeldawg1

Photos NOT OK to edit

Good luck with the sale!

10. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh, not Craigslist, I don't think that's a good option (although I don't think it will sell for that much anyway). I don't know about Facebook market either.

You have a camera of value and it looks to be in very nice condition, especially that it includes the meter and case, etc. It would be better to sell to a reputable camera store or camera company that buys and sells used. That Leica is way too nice to not get a decent price and get it sold to someone who would use it and appreciate it. You can look up the serial number of any Leica camera or lens and find out when exactly it was made, and they will repair any camera they ever made. There's an entire collection of Leicas at a university near me. (I just drooled on the display case...!) I have an M3, and a lens I bought much later that came with the original certificate that came with it through customs post WWII. They are exceptional and collectible cameras.

Try Used Cameras, Lenses & Gear For Sale | Buy & Sell at KEH Camera, or Digital Cameras, Lenses, Pro Audio, Video, Instruments from Adorama. (Adorama will be closed for Yom Kippur so you may have to look into selling to them soon or wait til after the holiday.) I'd also suggest trying Central Camera in Chicago but after their fire they've been setting up in front of their store for the time being and I don't know if they're buying used right now or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

And I also have - a Fotron! It is too ridiculously funky to not have and display. (Yes, I have midcentury bakelite cameras and folders etc. all over the house!)