Just opened a Flickr account- Critiques?

tess_thereb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Link : My Account

I know you guys don't really like to click links, I kinda don't either, but here's a sample image attachment after I edited it in Lightroom. Any Critiques? Thanks :1247:
_.jpg

Hi Tess,
There are too many objects around the snail that distract from it. I also think the tentacles should be sharper. Try using a smaller aperture next time for more depth of field.

Hi Tess,
There are too many objects around the snail that distract from it. I also think the tentacles should be sharper. Try using a smaller aperture next time for more depth of field.

That thought did cross my mind. Thank you for the feedback, I'm still struggling with aperture and shutter speed frankly. Guess I got some more research and practice to do!

you have a good eye. keep shooting!

It looks like your focus point was that piece of broken ceramic to the left of the frame. What camera do you have?

Agree with above, the snail's head should have been in focus so we can see it's smile. Seriously though I "clicked" and you have some nice photos there. There was one of some flowers though that was a little out of focus. It turns out you shot it at 1/40 of a second which is extremely slow and nearly impossible hand held. If you can't use a tripod try to shoot those scenes at, at least 1/100 and prop yourself against something.

Last edited:
This picture was actually cropped. I was too much of a coward to get up close and personal with it so I took the pic from a little distance away. I see how the focus is off.

I use a Nikon D3200, with kit lens. It's my first DSLR and I just got it about a week ago.

This picture was actually cropped. I was too much of a coward to get up close and personal with it so I took the pic from a little distance away. I see how the focus is off.

You know those darn snails and how fast they can jump on ya! :D

You know those darn snails and how fast they can jump on ya! :D

What can I say, they're disgusting so my reason is justifiable. Poke fun all yah want lol :lol:

Last edited:
Agree with above, the snail's head should have been in focus so we can see it's smile. Seriously though I "clicked" and you have some nice photos there. There was one of some flowers though that was a little out of focus. It turns out you shot it at 1/40 of a second which is extremely slow and nearly impossible hand held. If you can't use a tripod try to shoot those scenes at, at least 1/100 and prop yourself against something.

Oh thank you very much for the info and feedback, I ordered a tripod yesterday so it should get here soon enough. I plan to utilize it the best way possible for better outcomes!

You really don't need a tripod for most of what you'll shoot. Just try to keep your shutter speed up to the point where it will negate any movement that you might make. Don't be afraid to increase ISO to keep the shutter speed a little higher. Look up proper ways to hold your camera to minimize shake and pay attention to your breathing as you shoot.

Oh thank you very much for the info and feedback, I ordered a tripod yesterday so it should get here soon enough. I plan to utilize it the best way possible for better outcomes!

Greetings Tess,

A couple of quick thoughts/tips that you might find useful. The first is about your camera's autofocus system. Understanding how your camera chooses it's focus point will make a huge difference. I found a quick tutorial that might be of use:

In general for a shot like the one above where the target isn't lightning fast and I have the time I'll use only one focus point and select it myself rather than letting the camera pick one from a cluster. The results will be a lot more predictable that way, the camera will usually pick whatever the highest contrast point is and that rarely if ever seems to be what you want for an actual focus point.

As for photo sharpness, a tripod can be useful in some situations but if you want to prevent camera shake a good rule of thumb is to keep your shutter speed higher than whatever the focal length of your lens is at the moment.

So when I'm shooting with my 70-200 mm if I keep my shutter speed above 200 I generally get good, sharp results. Naturally when you don't have enough light to work with you will have to start making some trade offs between ISO and shutter speed, but in general if you can keep your shutter speed up you really won't "need" a tripod, but they can be nice to have for a variety of other purposes.

There's alot of learning to do in methods of stability. I went through the same thing ==> Stability - making yourself a tripod versus using one Photography Forum

next time don't be too afraid of the snail. They may jump and bite large chunks of flesh off but only when they are insane. I know, I've seen it on TV on the History Channel, or maybe it was SpongeBob Square Pants?

Most reactions

Back