What's new

Just picked up my D800E

Boney

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 13, 2012
Messages
91
Reaction score
8
Location
Huntington Beach, CA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I ordered my new D800E at Samys Camera in Orange County, CA. Was told at the time that it would take about 2 months. While sitting at the computer shopping for new lenses, I got a call from Samys expecting them to tell me it would take longer than expected, but to my surprise it was in. It took exactly one week.
Been reading the book that comes with it. This will take a while. The controls are very nice, though quite different from the D7000. Its weight was much less than expected because I was told it felt like a D700, which is quite heavy.
One disappointment.........it doesn't use the wireless remote that my D7000 uses. I thought that this was unusual since the Technical information document stresses using a tripod. I was also hoping that one could also control the video shutter release. But not all is lost, Nikon makes a cable that connects to a 7 pin connector, the MC-30, which by the way Nikon has listed at $100. Ouch, that's a lot for a switch, two wires and a connector. So I went to Amazon and found a couple much cheaper. I assume they will be OK since they were recommended for the D300 and several others which is the same as for the D800E. I bought two, one for $3.98 and one for $8.98. Much more reasonable than Nikon's $100.
I only own two FX lenses and the 105mm micro is loaned out. So I shot a couple with my 70-300mm zoom lens in the backyard. I have them on Photobucket if anyone is interested. The link is below. I came very close to buying the 24-70mm, f2.8, but held off until I messed with the camera a little. I would really like the VR since I'm a little shaky.

D800E pictures by Boney8 - Photobucket

Nikon has come out with a 24-85mm, a little slower, but with VR for $600. I was wondering if anyone has knowledge about this new lens? I haven't been able to find any reviews. I know the 24-70mm has a great reputation.

Also what is going on with the EN EL-15 battery? I bought my backup for the D7000 at Amazon for $42 several months ago, now they are $99?
 
Cool.. I had seriously thought about waiting for the D800E... but got the D800 instead. How is the Moire issue on it?

Look forward to hearing about it.. and seeing some shots...
 
The D800/e uses the nikon 10pin release cables, they're used on all the pro and semi-pro bodies like d3/3s/4/700.

something like this would work just fine, you don't need to spend the $100 nikon wants for a wired shutter release cable:
FlashZebra.com: Nikon 10-pin Shutter Release (Item #0221)
or the one you mentioned will likely work too, I've got a super cheap zeikos 10pin release I've been using, I think I got it for like $6 at BH, when I replace it, I'll be going with flashzebra though, I've recently got some stuff from him for my pocketwizards and they're very well made, great customer service too..

congrats on the new body. +1 on the moire question from charlie...
 
D800E is a bit too heavy isnt it? about 1 kg for the camera body only,let alone lens,battery etc.I have a feeling that such a heavy camera will result in a lot of shake if you are holding the camera by your hands.It seems like the camera is good with tripods only.Then again,its just a feeling,I have no idea about the image quality and feel,never took a picture using such cameras.
Can someone throw more light into this?
 
Good for you and I am sure you going to enjoy this new toy. With the D800 and D800e, hopefully the older models prices will come down soon.
 
The camera is fairly heavy, but it felt lighter than the D700 in the store. I have another post asking about recommended lenses. I just purchased the Nikon 24-70mm lens after studying the prime lenses. Goal is to obtain the highest quality lenses to take advantage of all of these pixels. So after studying the field, I realized that multiple primes equals lots of $$ which made the cost of the 24-70mm seem more reasonable, plus you don't have to keep taking lenses on and off. Ok for the studio but not so great out in the world. Someone asked if this heavy camera makes my tremor worse. Then answer is no, having mass actually dampens out the tremor somewhat and now with the added weight of the 24-70mm lens, its like taking pictures with a bowling ball. It does help reduce my tremor. However, I will always keep my tripod on hand now.
 
some more pictures please....
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom