Just some photos I took of my niece

Photomom85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was gifted some studio equipment so I thought I would try it out with my niece. I know they are not great. Any lighting suggests or anything would be helpful. Yes these were shot in Program mode. I am still learning my aperture settings and such for the situation in which I am shooting. I am in the middle of speaking with a consulor at The Art Institute of Pittsburg to find out about enrolling in classes to get my degree and learn more. Also speaking with a local photographer to see if he can help me out and guide me in the right direction. Once again I know these aren't great and this was my first time ever using studio equipment. I added some I edited as well and one of my son I took the day I got all of the equipment. Sorry to carry on lol Thanks!!

(Equipment used Canon T3i, Canon Speedlite 420ex, Canon EFS 18-55mm, and Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8)​

Last edited:
#1-5,8 & 9 IMO your studio lighting is too high. If it were me i would bring the lights more down to her height. Left and right at 45 degrees and stop your long light one lower. That would give you more depth and eliminate the shadows im seeing from the cheeks/lips down and under the flower head band.
#2 If it were me, i would pull the bottom towards me to give it a seemless look.
#8 Cropped too close, i want to see all the ear and the headband. Then IMO why did you put it in b&w? we have had color since 1930s. It would have melted my heart to see those big open eyes in color. And if you would have had the lighting lower to the ground it would have really popped the color in her eyes.

Composure is mostly good and posing is good too. I can appreciate the work that went into getting your niece into a position and the picture taken

Qveon kind of like this? She was actually trying to crawl away and my SIL got her to stop for a second that's the only reason I got the shot. And my mom wanted to see it in b&w, that's the only reason it was like that.

Attachments

• $12.jpg
    $12.jpg
    539.6 KB · Views: 143
I know the shadows look slightly off to me in my mind put she was facing downward :/

As far as positioning, is this what you were thinking for #2?

Attachments

• $4.jpg
    $4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 135
Photomom, eventually everybody learns that everybody makes mistakes. That said, IMHO your mistake of the day was "I know they are not great". They are.
Well done.

Thank you Rork, I was worried with it being my first time and I guess I'm just comparing my images to that of others which makes me think they were not great.

Qveon kind of like this? She was actually trying to crawl away and my SIL got her to stop for a second that's the only reason I got the shot. And my mom wanted to see it in b&w, that's the only reason it was like that.
$12sm.jpg

I could have done a little more, but i think you'll get my point. :) The exposure might be a bit overdone, but i was trying to compensate for the saving a jpeg to jpeg. Everytime you save to Jpeg you lose quality.

Thank you Rork, I was worried with it being my first time and I guess I'm just comparing my images to that of others which makes me think they were not great.
Don't beat yourself up...Kids move a lot and sometimes you just have to take the shot. I found that kids and candids of anything just require a little more PP which is not a bad thing. The one i just did. i would have bought a large gallery wrap of that was my child, but im a sucker for eyes.

I can get the skin tones and everything almost the same but I can not get the eyes to pop like that :(

By looking at the picture it looks like the lights are above and slightly behind the subject and the on camera flash to trigger the strobes correct me if I'm wrong?

By looking at the picture it looks like the lights are above and slightly behind the subject and the on camera flash to trigger the strobes correct me if I'm wrong?

I have 3 lights yes 2 are slightly behind subject to reduce shadowing and one at about 45 degrees to the front/left or right of the subject and slightly above with the umbrella reflecting down so the hair and everything is highlighted. I do not have remote strobes. I have an Canon 420ex flash mounted to my camera.

Most reactions

Back