Just started my photography Biz need C&C PLEASE!

Hi Elizabeth, and welcome to the forum.

Today, I decided that I needed a haircut. My hair was fairly long, and almost going in my eyes. I guess you'd call it a "shag top" or "mop top". I never really style my hair, other than giving it a good ol' rubdown with a towel when I get out of the shower. For example:

ibdVTNU0J9Vsmi.jpg

So in my process of deciding on where to get my hairs cut, I came across this new barber shop that had just opened. I decided to give them a shot, figuring they probably had a good price... and they did. The hair stylist sat me down, and asked how I'd like my hair cut. I told her that I'd like it cut short, so that I might actually look somewhat professional.

Over the course of the next 30 minutes, the barber did indeed cut my hair. As a matter of fact, she cut far too much of my hair off. She also nicked my ear, and didn't even acknowledge it. I asked her if she's having any "new business jitters" quite politely as I could tell she was a bit nervous...

She said "Well, you're really my 3rd client. I haven't gone to beauticians school, and I've only cut the hair of family members. I'm trying to learn as I go, and not charge that much since I still don't know how to cut hair".

Well as it turns out. Now I have a bad haircut, bloody ear, and I'm out 20 bucks. I have a feeling that's how a lot of her clients will feel.

I want to start a photography side business of my own one day, but I know I am not yet ready. Photography isn't something that you learn overnight, in a week, in a year, or even in a couple of years (well maybe). It takes time to learn to master it and taking phtos is only one small aspect of a business. A photography business is 90% "business". Give yourself time to learn the in's and out's and the up's and down's of photography. I've been shooting a little over a year and still HAVE A TON to learn before I even start to think of starting a side business.

It is still an honest living. If she delivers the same quality of images she shows on her portfolio, then who cares? Clients should expect similar photos like her portfolio.

cannpope mentions not using the 50 mm f.1.8 at wide open apertures.

The reason is the focus is sharpest when the lens is stopped down 2 or more stops.

A full stop down from f/1.8 is f/2.5. A second full stop down takes you to f/3.5.

An issue the inexpensive Canon 50 mm f/1.8 II lens has is poor quality CoC (Circle of Confusion, or bokeh). A big reason for the poor quality CoC is the lens only has 5 aperture blades, they are not curved, and they have sharp edges. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_confusion

Lenses that produce a high quality CoC usually have 9 or more aperture blades that are curved so the aperture is closer to being a perfect circle, and the blade edges are also rounded to soften the blur quality of the CoC.

Oh wow, some of you are just down right mean about it. Thanks for the welcome :/

There is no way you should be charging for this sort of quality, i wouldn't pay for any you have posted, did you get the camera for Christmas

Really?? This is "just" being honest? There's no 'hint' of rudeness here? No, I bought this camera myself in Feb 2011. And I posted the photos for some really constructive criticism.

cannpope mentions not using the 50 mm f.1.8 at wide open apertures.

The reason is the focus is sharpest when the lens is stopped down 2 or more stops.

A full stop down from f/1.8 is f/2.5. A second full stop down takes you to f/3.5.

An issue the inexpensive Canon 50 mm f/1.8 II lens has is poor quality CoC (Circle of Confusion, or bokeh). A big reason for the poor quality CoC is the lens only has 5 aperture blades, they are not curved, and they have sharp edges. Circle of confusion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lenses that produce a high quality CoC usually have 9 or more aperture blades that are curved so the aperture is closer to being a perfect circle, and the blade edges are also rounded to soften the blur quality of the CoC.

So does this mean that the Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM with 8 aperture blades be that much of a better option for CoC?[h=2][/h]

Hi, I just started by business a few months ago...
:confused: Really?

Um, yes........ ??
As Gary rather bluntly alluded to, these images really don't seem to be of a quality that I would expect from a professional. Were you to charge me for these, I would be more than a little bit upset. They are a start, but there are many basic technical issues which KmH has already mentioned.

If I may, I would suggest that you put away your shingle for a little while and spend some time learning the basics. These tutorials are excellent, and will give you a much better grounding in the basics. As well, spend some time studying this DoF calculator for a better understanding of why shooting wide open is not always the best.

Good luck.

So, if I may ask, why have you started a photography business if you only have a "general understanding" of your camera? How much time have you spent researching and studying photography? Do you understand why you are shooting at f/1.8 or do you just like that it gives you a cool blurred background? You need a good understanding of the exposure triangle, composition, posing, lighting (even when using natural light) and white balance. Do you have a business license and insurance? Do you understand the tax implications of running a business and how to draw up a contract for clients?

Your 1st picture is nice but the focus is soft because you are shooting wide open when it was not needed for that shot. Plus the girl is in her jacket, which indicates to me that she's coming or going somewhere and this is not a thought out photo shoot.

The 2nd pic - the colors are.... well, she's purple. Not a good look for people. Your low angle is also not flattering. It makes her behind look big.

3rd - the pose is awkward and again, the colors are off although this time the subject is green. Is your monitor calibrated?

The 4th is a really nice snapshot of a kid in her playroom (a little underexposed and the white balance is a bit warm but not as off as the previous two). But as a portrait, the junk in the background ruins it.

There is no way you should be charging for this sort of quality, i wouldn't pay for any you have posted, did you get the camera for Christmas

Really?? This is "just" being honest? There's no 'hint' of rudeness here? No, I bought this camera myself in Feb 2011. And I posted the photos for some really constructive criticism.

That is only 10 months, sorry but i would not know where to start with C+C on these

No. Rude would have been to lie and say that these are technically and artistically perfect photos.

Welcome to the forum; if you plan on sticking around, you need to be able to take criticisms about your work. If you want C&C, ask for it, but don't expect to have smoke blown up your ass and pats on the back.

If I may, I would suggest that you put away your shingle for a little while and spend some time learning the basics.

This! No one is saying you can't get there, just that you aren't there yet and probably jumped the gun in starting a business.

Yes, it is being honest. Bluntly honest, but honest nonetheless. Far too many people seem to think that buying a camera automatically makes them a professional photographer. There is a great deal more to it... the technical knowledge alone should represent many months, if not years of study. The artistic aspects are something else altogether, and require years of practice to hone. Then there's lighting... what do you know about lighting? Can you confidently light a large group in bright, dappled light?

Elizabeth, you will get the same treatment almost at ANY photography forum. Dont worry about it. Just keep shooting and proof them wrong. 20 months ago I went trough the same thing. They were somewhat right, but it pushed me to do a lot better.

Most reactions

Back