Just starting, need advice

Gsurf1029

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Let me start my first post by introducing myself
My name is Grayson, im 16, and interested in photography.

Ive been looking at cameras for quite a while now and ive pretty much decided on what i will get. I came across a package with a Nikon D40 with the kit lense, a 55-200mm lense, a 4gb memory card, and all the other little things like a case, and strap and all of that stuff.

Going off of reviews, this camera seems perfect for a beginner such as myself. Easy to operate, good quality, and very compact as well as light weight. Now before i spend over 600$ i would like some opinions from some people with this camera, or some experienced photographers. I think it's the right choice, but i just want to make sure its a good one.

Thanks

--grayson

Let me start my first post by introducing myself
My name is Grayson, im 16, and interested in photography.

Ive been looking at cameras for quite a while now and ive pretty much decided on what i will get. I came across a package with a Nikon D40 with the kit lense, a 55-200mm lense, a 4gb memory card, and all the other little things like a case, and strap and all of that stuff.

Going off of reviews, this camera seems perfect for a beginner such as myself. Easy to operate, good quality, and very compact as well as light weight. Now before i spend over 600$ i would like some opinions from some people with this camera, or some experienced photographers. I think it's the right choice, but i just want to make sure its a good one.

Thanks

--grayson

The D40 gives you the "biggest bang for the buck" today and, from your description of your situation, I expect that it's an ideal choice.

Be forewarned about one limitation. IF autofocus is important to you, you must purchase AF-S lenses. That's because the D40 does not have a focusing motor and it depends on one in the lens. There are a fair amount of older 35mm lenses that do not have motors. These lenses work just fine with the D40 except that you must focus manually. Fortunately, you don't need to rely entirely on your eye as the camera has a focus indicator.

You might want to go to the Nikon web site and download a user manual.

Welcome.

If you wanted the D40, you could just spend a few extra dollars for a D60 or a little more for a D80. The D80 can use older Nikkor lenses without the need to purchase AF-S lenses. (Even though I won't be shooting Nikon.)

If you're looking to spend $600-700, Sony has a few nice options such as the A200 or the A300 which has live view. But you'll have to wait for the A300 or go with the A350 which costs more. The A200 wit kit lens is $600 now. (I'm going to shoot Sony)

Canon also has a few options, The Canon 400D or the yet to be released 450D.

thanks for all the replys guys!
i dont know if i should let the autofucus be my deciding factor, is it that big of a deal to beginners? And wont the be more af-s lenses coming out?

ill take a look at those links, thanks

--grayson

Well Autofocus should be part of your decision factor I think because you wouldn't want to manually focus all day (unless you're fast and really accurate).

i dont know if i should let the autofucus be my deciding factor, is it that big of a deal to beginners? And wont the be more af-s lenses coming out?

Hard to answer. That's pretty much up to you (it wouldn't bother me) and there's no way to predict what lenses will be introduced in the future. Again, go to the Nikon web site and check to see what they already have.

ill take a look at those links, thanks

--grayson

In my personal oppinion...AF should not be a determining factor at all for several reasons but that is just me.

I hold a grudge agenst AF lenses :lol:

In my personal oppinion...AF should not be a determining factor at all for several reasons but that is just me.

I hold a grudge agenst AF lenses :lol:

Like I said, it wouldn't bother me but today's focusing screens are really not convenient for manual focusing and I have a bit of sympathy for beginners. I don't know if you've been around long enough to remember the split image. It enabled really precise manual focusing. Of course, in those days, manual focusing was the only focusing that existed and the screens reflected that fact.

Like I said, it wouldn't bother me but today's focusing screens are really not convenient for manual focusing and I have a bit of sympathy for beginners.

I do understand that, and that is why I make it clear that my statement is based soly on oppinion. I have more problems than I can count with AF, but that does not mean that every one does or will.

I don't know if you've been around long enough to remember the split image. It enabled really precise manual focusing. Of course, in those days, manual focusing was the only focusing that existed and the screens reflected that fact.

That is exactly what I use, My EF utilizes split screen focusing, I know them rather well.

That is exactly what I use, My EF utilizes split screen focusing, I know them rather well.

I didn't know it was still around. I haven't used one for quite a while so I'm rusty but I'm sure that, with a little practice, I could focus quicker than the auto-focus mechanisms.

I didn't know it was still around. I haven't used one for quite a while so I'm rusty but I'm sure that, with a little practice, I could focus quicker than the auto-focus mechanisms.

I think you may be misinturpriting my EF ;)

But yeah, it's a hell of a lot quieter too

Most reactions

New Topics

Back