Just to get started and include myself a bit

ShooterJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Shot this at a park in the metro, the subject is a great friend of mine and we planned on getting a bunch of shots. However, unknown to us, people in this park feed the squirrels. Right after I took this photo, we found ourselves surrounded by half a dozen of them darting back and forth. Those little dudes/dudettes are brave too! Within a few feet of us... and she got chased, which had me laughing so hard the shoot ended. However, I'll be going back with food to get some shots of the squirrels and some others of her... but this gets us started. LOL

I do see some problems with it... feedback and comments welcome. Thanks people.

$ZeeFullRT(web).jpg

Two things strike me right off. One is the flat, rather boring light, and two is the use of on-camera flash. I will say well done for using an on-camera flash and not making her looking like a zombie! The composition is rather Peter Hurley-esque, and you've done a good job of the background. What you should try is getting the light source OFF of the camera (this doesn't have to be expensive) and will definitely take your work to the "next level". A reflector might also help to bring some light in from the side/above.

Squirrels???? I got'cher squirrels right here!
;)

Two things strike me right off. One is the flat, rather boring light, and two is the use of on-camera flash. I will say well done for using an on-camera flash and not making her looking like a zombie! The composition is rather Peter Hurley-esque, and you've done a good job of the background. What you should try is getting the light source OFF of the camera (this doesn't have to be expensive) and will definitely take your work to the "next level". A reflector might also help to bring some light in from the side/above.

Squirrels???? I got'cher squirrels right here!
;)

Thanks for the feedback.. and yes, the lighting was a problem I had with it. A reflector was going to be what I tried next, given that as far as flash went, I didn't really have a source close by to bounce it from another angle. The hot spots bugged me.

I'll be taking some reflectors next time and maybe looking for more of a sunlight/shade combination that doesn't create too many uneven shadows (particularly across the face)?

Welcome aboard. I haven't quite got used to the new "cutting off the top of the head" style of portraits, but I like this one.

Welcome aboard. I haven't quite got used to the new "cutting off the top of the head" style of portraits, but I like this one.

Thanks, though as tirediron suggested the right lighting could make it much better. It's something I'll be working on.

Definitely need better lighting... reflectors as OP mentions, or diffused OC flash. The image posted looks a little green / yellow to me... and low contrast also. I do like faces warm and not washed out, and this is reflected in my edits. What do you think? Original on top, edit on bottom!

All I did was increase contrast a bit, and added a little red and magenta, with a touch of blue (but I don't know what your friend looks like)

$ZeeFullRT(web)111.jpg

Also highly recommend calibrating your monitor if you don't already.

I like the edit. Thanks for the feedback Charlie.

I like the edit. Thanks for the feedback Charlie.

Anytime! Of course, there are those that feel I have no clue what I am doing!! ;) Heck.. even I feel that way, before I have a pot or two of coffee! lol!

Funny.. I didn't get that impression after viewing your flickr gallery. lol

As for not knowing what she looks like.. the hair is a bit redish for her... but the edit is still great. I see where you're going with it and like the warmer look.

As for not knowing what she looks like.. the hair is a bit redish for her... but the edit is still great. I see where you're going with it and like the warmer look.

She has gorgeous eyes.. make sure you work with that!

She has gorgeous eyes.. make sure you work with that!

Yes she does.. this photo was one of the few she's in with no sunglasses .. I insisted she lose them. Lol

Most reactions

Back