Kayak Tragedy

ottor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Driving home and saw a bunch of activity across the bridge... stopped, and found a bunch of kayak runners stranded on a large rock with rapidly rising water.. Just let a ton go from the resevour up river.. Sadly, one of them died. You can see the overturned pontoon boat. I can't tell you how deep this canyon is, and the lack of help if something goes wrong.... They did CPR for 45 minutes before they could get a helecopter to land in the canyon. The last one gives you an example of how steep the walls are... if the picture was the face of a clock, there are rescuers standing about 1:00, less then a 1/3 down from the top of the picture.. Can you see them in their orange vests?

Here, you can see the overturned boat - and the stranded boaters..

3457139863_49349d5a8f_b.jpg

The bridge will give you an idea of the depth,

3457951846_958d489aff_b.jpg

Here, they're bringing the overturned boat back down...

3457142485_be42365ff0_b.jpg

Can you see the rescue personnel?

3457965646_dc0db4480e_b.jpg

Wow, that would be terrifying. It was good documentation though. Where did this happen?

Thanks,...

Snake River Canyon - SouthCentral Idaho..

r

Oh my, what a hard-to-reach location at which this accident happened. Photos 2 and 4 really highlight the steepness of the sides of the river. Good job capturing the difficulties the rescuers faced. And how sad that a fun day turned tragic.

Twin Falls to be exact, my old home town and this was truly a sad thing that happened and to the west at the bridge we sometimes have base jumpers who lose their lives as well, it's a true beauty the canyon but DANGEROUS as well.
Tim

Most reactions

Back