What's new

Kazooie's Photographery Thread

Kazooie

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Dec 28, 2011
Messages
1,231
Reaction score
138
Location
Alaska
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'll say it right away; I am a beginner. I've been taking pictures since last April, but it was a while afterwords that I got enough confidence to post them online.

To tell you about myself...
I'm 15, I live in Alaska, and my main hobby is saltwater aquariums. The aquariums are what actually got me into photography.

Anyways, I'm sure I forgot something, but here goes!

IMG_0987.jpg


IMG_0762.jpg


IMG_0761.jpg


IMG_0760.jpg


IMG_0547.jpg


blastocontest.jpg


IMG_0337.jpg


Thoughts? Tips? Letters of hate?
 
I actually really like the second one, the lighting gives it a nice dramatic effect. As well as the fourth, and the posters in this one give the image some nice leading lines and directionality.

The last three are basically just snapshots and the last two look underexposed to me. The focus is too shallow in the last and the majority of the face is out of focus.
 
Those are also REALLY heavy on the contrast. Otherwise? they are very nice!

I lived in Fairbanks for a time. I miss it terribly!
 
I actually really like the second one, the lighting gives it a nice dramatic effect. As well as the fourth, and the posters in this one give the image some nice leading lines and directionality.

The last three are basically just snapshots and the last two look underexposed to me. The focus is too shallow in the last and the majority of the face is out of focus.
Thanks, I guess I have a bad habit of underexposing a lot. I don't really understand what exposure is, other than how light or dark a picture is.
Those are also REALLY heavy on the contrast. Otherwise? they are very nice!

I lived in Fairbanks for a time. I miss it terribly!
Thanks, is it better to adjust "curves" or contrast? PP is still a challenge to me.
My brother lives in Fairbanks... too cold for me!

I'm digging through archives for pictures now...
IMG_0010.jpg


IMG_2693.jpg
 
They look good...keep going.
 
Better to adjust the curves.
I think your monitor is not calibrated. The new ones are really dark. Monitors straight out of the box are set up for internet and gaming use. They are much too bright for photographic use. You can reduce the brightness on your monitor to about 70% and it will be much closer in the brightness department.
 
:thumbup:
They look good...keep going.
Thanks! I really like doing it, but wish I was better at it. That's why I joined here though.

I kinda like this one. It's whimsical and mysterious. I think it could handle a square crop well.

Thanks, I just took it to try out a script I got for Gimp. My mom really hates it though, says it makes her look old!

No...its the Neck that gives the age away...she's got it covered, she looks fine to me and we are prolly near in age. Look at her smiling eyes, can't beat that for good looks!!! :thumbup:
 
Out of focus, and crowded.

Subject in #1 blends in.
I'd say snapshot for it.

#2 dof isn't stronger than the foreground blur.

Keep shooting. Mess around with one shot, one subject... over and over.. But use different lighting effects in your scene.
Water is fun, because the light travels through and highlights areas differently.
 
How are you lighting your tank?

TheSetup.jpg


Setups like this are really useful. A side light to give some texture and depth to whatever your shooting, and a broad light ontop to have a nice diffuse light.

Which led to photo's like these. I realize there's a lot to be fixed with the photo, but you get the idea.

angel.jpg
 
Out of focus, and crowded.

Subject in #1 blends in.
I'd say snapshot for it.

#2 dof isn't stronger than the foreground blur.

Keep shooting. Mess around with one shot, one subject... over and over.. But use different lighting effects in your scene.
Water is fun, because the light travels through and highlights areas differently.
I can see what you mean, when it's pointed out. Normally I take aquarium pictures for a build log I have on another forum, so the quality is not very good. Granted, none of my photos have good quality. :lol:

How are you lighting your tank?

TheSetup.jpg


Setups like this are really useful. A side light to give some texture and depth to whatever your shooting, and a broad light ontop to have a nice diffuse light.

Which led to photo's like these. I realize there's a lot to be fixed with the photo, but you get the idea.

angel.jpg

That's a nice looking take. :)
Mines under a 50/50 mixture of Neutral White and Royal Blue 3w LED's dimmable. Pictures under the T5's on my other tank come out better, but I'm not sure why.

The spot-lighting would work really well if I could find bulbs with the right color temperature, so the corals don't lose the florescent colors.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom