Keeping babies from falling over when shooting...

WhiskeyTango said:
The milestone for sitting up is around 3 months.

They can sit up assisted around three months but they start sitting on their own around six months. From there its a whole different ball game because the babies have no interest in sleeping through a shoot much less looking all cute for ya.

I use boppy pillows and bouncey seats with the backdrops draped over them. They also sell infant wedges that are meant to go in the crib for babies with reflux but they work wonders in photos too. You gotta get creative but, like was said early, safety first.

Just a note, milestones are fairly general, you can't really say "babies only sit assisted at 3 months" because its a blanket statement. My second was walking unassisted by 6 months, and therefore sitting unassisted much earlier.

velcro.

Super glue.
To a nearby wall.

Babies safety is ALWAYS before photography.
Unless you're a photojournalist, then you let the baby fall and take a picture of it. If there's a vulture nearby....even better.

Super glue.
To a nearby wall.

You shouldn't even suggest that.. someone that doesn't know any better might try it! (and no... unfortunately, I am not joking!) Some of the stupid things I see and hear about photographing babies is scary as hell. Wannabe PRO MWAC's all!

Super glue.
To a nearby wall.

You shouldn't even suggest that.. someone that doesn't know any better might try it! (and no... unfortunately, I am not joking!) Some of the stupid things I see and hear about photographing babies is scary as hell. Wannabe PRO MWAC's all!

COMMOM SENSE AINT THAT COMMON!!!

Yea.. I love the response "Composite??? What's that?"

It is scary just to hold a new baby, when my granddaughter was born I was so frighten just to hold her, didn't trust myself not to drop her, SCARY AS H**! When my son was born I think I drove 5 miles PH all the way home:lmao:

added,: and yes cars did go faster even back than

Bumbo chairs are great for getting babies to sit up, before they can do it themselves. As long as their neck can support their head, they'll be good in a Bumbo.

I built a baby head-shot stand. It's similar to a sidewalk 'sandwich' board sign...two boards with a hinge, but heavy duty for safety. I built an adjustable shelf on one side, so the baby can stand or kneel on the shelf and prop themselves up at the top. I put a blanket over the top, as an armrest and I'll have a parent keep the baby from falling off by sitting to the side and reaching out with their arm.

Bumbo chair under white sheet
CD-Card-02-web.jpg

Baby stand.
BD-01-Web.jpg

BD-07-Web.jpg

Fake it. They're composites. Although I liked the duct tape... velcro comes to mind too!

Ive only done a couple because there not something i really want to do. but for when there was anything where the baby had even the slightest chance of falling over (they wanted the kid in a picnic basket) we did multiple shots with one of the parents there holding the baby. she was a newborn. but im not willing to take the risk. i don't believe in the" just having someone close". chances are when the baby falls youll'e be right there to grab them after there head hits the floor. I have had to deal with friends who had there photographer sit there kids up on suitcases telling the mom everything will be fine and then listen to her tell me how she watched the kid roll off the suitcases and hit his head etc. satefy should be the number 1 concern with babies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back