Keeping camera dry

Susan Will

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am in need of some suggestions on keeping my camera dry while on a boat. Is there any products I can use for this or what have others done to keep their camera dry. Thanks

I use 2 gal. Zip lock bags to store my equipment in.

Assuming you are talking about storage. For a major canoe and camping adventure (we ended up with lots of rain) I got something very much like this. I'll dig it out tomorrow and check the actual brand. It doubles as a backpack and depending on the size you get, can hold lots of gear. It really makes sense to invest in one and, unless you put an anvil in it or squeeze all the air out of it, it floats.

https://www.amazon.com/IDRYBAG-Wate...ocphy=1014895&hvtargid=pla-654757069143&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ditto with @weepete. And if your camera does get wet and you were using a zoom lens, extend the lens to it maximum when letting it dry out.

While by no means making a camera waterproof in any way, I always get the silicone covers (about $ 25 USD) to protect against bumping and banging. I also like the grip they provide. If I avoid dropping it, all the better. They do deflect some droplets of water as well but that is not their purpose.

Opn_20210328_085541.jpg

Plastic bag and gaffer tape for camera while shooting, large plastic ziplock bag for storage.

I use a dry bag for rain, but a lot of times I use the dicapac waterproof case which is super secure and you can even use it underwater. It can be a bit of a PITA though.

I use a dry bag for rain, but a lot of times I use the dicapac waterproof case which is super secure and you can even use it underwater. It can be a bit of a PITA though.

I am going to be on a boat for my son's rehearsal dinner in Maui and we will be going for the sunset so do not want to miss that but they told me to be prepared for water spray, so I need to be prepared.

In storage ... or while taking pictures ?

While taking picture on a boat in Maui for a sunset during my son's rehearsal dinner!

I am going to be on a boat for my son's rehearsal dinner in Maui and we will be going for the sunset so do not want to miss that but they told me to be prepared for water spray, so I need to be prepared.
I would use the dicapac for this situation.

Practice before. You will need to get your settings the way you want them bc it's hard to change them once it's sealed up....though doable. I usually use the center point focus when using it, and my 35 or 50.
Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back