Ken Rockwell. I should have known better. please read.

Ahh Ken - a master at self promotion and at realising that the best way to get attention on the net is to be nuts not sane ;).

Also a fantastic example of why "Googling it" doesn't work - and can backfire!

Ken is like Digital Rev - except that you can't always tell when' he's serious from when he's joking to when he's just being opinionated.

Ahh Ken -
....a fantastic example of why "Googling it" doesn't work - and can backfire!

...you can't always tell when' he's serious from when he's joking to when he's just being opinionated.

This! Definitely.

My biggest trouble is always that I'm not sure of his tone in his posts- they all read the same.

(except the one that's nsfw from earlier)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4; probably while slacking off at work

This! Definitely.

My biggest trouble is always that I'm not sure of his tone in his posts- they all read the same.

(except the one that's nsfw from earlier)

Take his opinion the same as you would anyone's here.... it's just one person's opinion.

KR is not The Authority on the craft any more than anyone here is.

Sent from MyOuthouse using ToiletPaper 2.31

That's a good point, but again- I can usually read better into someone being snarky or amusing or serious here than I can with his website. A lot of that has to do with the actual personal interactions we have here.

Side note: I can appreciate your posting locality

........ and deliberately controversial, and even idiotic snark, on the other end..........

Like this NSFW page!!!!

Ok, granted it's been a while since health class but I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. That's not how any of that stuff works.. lol
I would like to read the unknowing 6th graders report from this well done research however

Ok, granted it's been a while since health class but I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. That's not how any of that stuff works.. lol
You mean the story about the stork is TRUE?
z133.gif

You mean it really IS the stork?
z133.gif

Well no, I wouldn't go that route.. but I'm pretty sure mommy is not ending up in the family way in the manner described - since it describes two entry pathways that could not result in such a thing at all. Also I'm pretty sure the theory of Preformationism hasn't actually been taken seriously since somewhere back in the mid 1600's.

Lol

Well no, I wouldn't go that route.. but I'm pretty sure mommy is not ending up in the family way in the manner described - since it describes two entry pathways that could not result in such a thing at all. Also I'm pretty sure the theory of Preformationism hasn't actually been taken seriously since somewhere back in the mid 1600's.

Lol

I dunno. He describes one method that I'm sure caused the creation of a few people I know. Let's just say they are referred to by a name that is also a method he describes.
fiufiu.gif

I like watching DigitalRev. At least they show you what they are talking about and you understand when they are joking, hopefully.

I did exactly this, but not because I listened to Ken Rockwell... :p I had no idea my 7D had this feature. At least I was only taking shots for my eBay stuff... :lol:

So... who else uses auto everything? Everyone? All the professionals ever? I'm sure Ansel Adams was an avid Auto mode fan, since the almighty Ken Rockwell is too. I mean look at the man's photos. LOOK AT THEM. THEY'RE... PHOTOS. YEAH. AND STUFF. LOUD NOISES.

Soooooo.....

This makes the second time I've messed myself up by putting too much trust in Ken Rockwell and his info.

My original mistake was when I first got my DSLR, I only had it maybe a week before going on vacation. I googled as much as I could to get tips and info and such, and came across who seemed to be a wealth of great info. Mr K.R. himself. So he recommended that I should just shoot JPG since I would never be able to tell a difference between that and a raw file and I'd have a lot more room on the memory card to be able to take more shots while gone. sounded at the time like the greatest idea ever, and I was absolutely thinking this guy is a savior.
After got my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200, I realized my long dormant hobby was going to come to life big-time. I was doing research to figure out what camera I was going to move up to when I started looking at Nikons and Canons. My research led me to Rockwell - he had some "manual" on the D5xxx, or something and several other sources recommended him. At the time, I knew just enough about photography to get me in trouble. But one of the first things I read of his writings was what you mentioned above. I am amateur enough to know I need help, but experienced enough to know I need to stay away from his site. Too much BS for a guy who wants to believe some pros also make good teachers. Maybe he's okay for those who know what wheat is and what chaff is in regards to photography. A lot of us don't. I'm not much of a gambler.

Jim

Most reactions

Back