Kenko 1.4x Pro teleconverter and Nikon 70-200 f2.8

ecr111

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have the new Nikon 70-200 f2.8 on order and I also own the above converter.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts for this combo.

I bought the kenko to go with the Nikon 70- 300 VR 'cause I didn't want to spend 2/3 the price of the lens for the Nikon and the new Nikons were just becoming available and not in stock much when I got the kenko.
The Kenko works ok on the 70-300 but with f5.6 at 300 I end up with f8 or so using it.

So, what do y'all think?
Do I have to bite the bullet and purchase the nikon or will the kenko give decent results?

Even the nikon 1.4 would struggle on the 70-300mm and you would still lose the same one stop of light using the teleconverter (this is true of all 1.4 teleconverters). However on the 70-200mm the kenko pro 1.4 should work fine - f4 as the max aperture means plenty of light to work with and AF and image quality should still remain very good - you might notice some slight degradation, but it will be minor compared to the range you gain.

Thanks Overread.
I knew that they are the same as far as light loss, but the remainder of your reply looks like I am good to go, so thanks again.

The Kenko Pro300 series TCs are a rare gem from an otherwise mediocre manufacturer. Keep it. If you're going to replace it then don't do it for anything other than the new aspherical TC from Nikon.

Thanks Garbz.
I had seen some interweb discussion that said it was ok before I purchased it, but with the new 70-200 I wanted to be sure.

Are the new Nikons in another class, though?

yes the new nikons are in another class[/QUOTE]

That was a not enough coffee question.:lol:

I just don't want to spend the money for a new one right now, since I have the kenko.
So I'm pedaling as fast as I can to outrun the urge to spend even more money on my pursuit of long range IQ.
This is just a serious hobby for me and so even though I can afford the best I am generally pretty frugal.
No way I can convince myself to spend the $ for a new nikon 200-400mm. So the 70-200 with TCs for me.

I bought the 17-55mm f2.8 a while ago and was so impressed with it's IQ I had to have the 70-200mm f2.8.

Sorry for rambling.:D

Most reactions

Back