Kereru: New Zealand Wood Pigeon

RobNZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Spied this guy this afternoon having a feed in a 6 foot tree and wasnt too flighty allowing me to get quite close, the trouble as you can see is I couldnt really get a clean shot.

This is a native bird and I have heard they are quite tasty ;), quite a large bird as well, maybe 3 times the size of an ordinary pigeon and when in flight the beating of their wings makes quite a distinctive sound.

1. this shot is probably the cleanest shot I have gotten of a bird to date, right down to making out the reflective detail of the clouds in the eye.

nzpigeon001.jpg

2. I am being observed. Missed the focus by {....} much.

nzpigeon002.jpg

nzpigeon003.jpg

4. This duck just kept eyeballing me when I was doing post, lol.

duck001.jpg

C&C welcomed, thanks for looking.

#2 makes me smile, focus off/or on... I'd print it!

First one is defiantly the strongest.

As for C&C, other than the missed focus which you already know about, there's not much technically wrong with the photos that I can see. Exposure is good, the balance of darks and lights works. The only thing I can say is keep shooting because the positions (especially of the duck) just doesn't work.

I do really like the first one, though. What lens were these shot with?

#2 makes me smile, focus off/or on... I'd print it!

Its a keeper for that reason alone, we reacted the same it seems :)

First one is defiantly the strongest.

As for C&C, other than the missed focus which you already know about, there's not much technically wrong with the photos that I can see. Exposure is good, the balance of darks and lights works. The only thing I can say is keep shooting because the positions (especially of the duck) just doesn't work.

I do really like the first one, though. What lens were these shot with?

Thanks, the duck is posted not so much for compostion, no crop I tired would have saved it, technically it is good, again not the reason, the reason is cos that damn duck just eyeballs you, haha, not every shot posted is going to be winner. Its just one of those shots that no matter where I look in the frame I am always drawn back to those eyes.

All shot with a Canon 300mm prime.

Still a little gutted I couldnt get full "clean" body shot for that first one though.

You take beautiful pictures. I love #1 and #3.

You take beautiful pictures. I love #1 and #3.

Thanks reznap.

haha that duck makes me laugh !
I like two aswell - it cute lol

Agreed, the duck almost looks like a decoy (its not though), probably because he was just was just feeding and the way the light hits water on his feathers.

The first shot just aired on our biggest TV channel in primetime (TV One News)! I submitted the first 2 and they chose the first to go to air.

I just about had a fit, lol, then the phone started ringing and txt's galore,lol.

Nice work! I watch 3 news so didn't see that.

You're starting to make me regret selling my 300mm L lens

That lens hardly ever comes off, its just gold, still has to pay for itself though.......

Most reactions

Back