DSC_9002.JPG

DSC_9018.JPG

DSC_9123.JPG

DSC_9233.JPG

DSC_9263.JPG

DSC_9695.JPG

DSC_9792.JPG

DSC_9713.JPG

I say the following with the utmost respect because I normally LOVE your photography every which way:

These really don't seem up to par with what you normally shoot. I won't comment on each individual photo, but all of them seem to be lacking contrast, and a few have some focus issues. The out of focus face in the first is pretty distracting. I'm guessing you were trying to draw attention to the t-shirt, but my attention is actually drawn to her face due to the bad focus there. There are also a lot of them that have the limbs cutoff at "bad" places such as fingers cutoff, cutoff at the ankle, wrist, etc... Those are my thoughts.

Thanks for your thoughts. Looking at them now, I can see that they are too bright and need adjusting...

As for limbs cutting off... except for studio stuff, I am really starting to ignore this. Take a look at the mall next time and look at all the photography used in ads. If there is action, the cutting off of the limbs matters less.

Certainly for standing still shots there is no excuse (like the last one in this series) but sometimes I just don't mind it.

Thx again!

The quality on these is all over the place...focus, extreme backlighting, odd amputation cropping, poor background control,blown highlights, poor contrast in backlighted situations,etc; shots 1,4,5,6,7,8,10,11,12 all have significant artistic or technical weaknesses. THis has to be some of the weakest stuff I have seen you post. As far as the cropping off in what are known as "amputations" not mattering if there is action, as you state: I would disagree, and in the case of photos 1,2,3,and 5, the amputations are really hurting the pictures. The amputation in the half-body shot #5 is inexcusable. I don;t want to be harsh, but this is very weak commercial photography. These are flat-out bad on many levels and if "I" were the AD, I'd demand that this entire set be re-shot.

Hey thanks for your opinion guys.

Derrel I see your point in many of these, but I am not going to argue how I feel again.

I could post others from the same set, now that they're edited, but I don't see the point. I like most of these enough.

I like the girl with the ice cream. she is hitting poses on the spot. haha. Those are what make great photos. Good work!

Looks like outstanding work to me. The kids look great and there is a lot of fun and lifestyle in the photos. Judging from your past work I would say that once edited these shots will be A1.

Love & Bass

I have to agree with the op. Since Ive become more serious about photography I've been looking at some adds in prominent magazines of fashion and different things and I noticed every rule Ive been told by photogs on tpf were broken. I especially noticed that cropping off limbs was the norm with these type of shots. I was just looking at a catalog called Giant Leaps and instead of looking at the products I was looking at all the things that were technically incorrect. LOL
OP, I think the ice cream was a cute touch and the school bus was perfect for this type of shoot. The shirts were very cute. I'd like to see your edited versions if you wouldn't mind.

I like them all but the top one... Although the shirt is in focus, the face of the girl is slightly out of focus. I would suggest a higher fstop on that one

Looks like outstanding work to me. The kids look great and there is a lot of fun and lifestyle in the photos. Judging from your past work I would say that once edited these shots will be A1.

Love & Bass

Thanks Craig. I wasn't worried about limbs or things like that, but instead capturing the fun that was being had... I hope I captured that.

I have to agree with the op. Since Ive become more serious about photography I've been looking at some adds in prominent magazines of fashion and different things and I noticed every rule Ive been told by photogs on tpf were broken. I especially noticed that cropping off limbs was the norm with these type of shots. I was just looking at a catalog called Giant Leaps and instead of looking at the products I was looking at all the things that were technically incorrect. LOL
OP, I think the ice cream was a cute touch and the school bus was perfect for this type of shoot. The shirts were very cute. I'd like to see your edited versions if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks, I agree - product shots are about the product, NOT perfect photography. The difference between Victoria Secret ads and their catalogs is that the ads are more eye catching, and break all the rules.

I won't be posting edited versions; I edit them specifically in the size needed for the website and it would look strange here. Actually, maybe I will, so everyone can see how MUCH I chop off arms. LOL

I like them all but the top one... Although the shirt is in focus, the face of the girl is slightly out of focus. I would suggest a higher fstop on that one

I agree, it's a bit too focused on the shirt.

Where can I find the edited versions?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back