Kind of a dumb Nikon D3s question.

I was considering the D700 until I realized that if I saved a little longer I could get the D3s. I have to wait longer to get it but in the end I'd probably be happier that way.

I know a lot of shooters who have been getting the 24-70 lately but for me I'm sticking with the 17-35. I love that thing. I think it was Capa who said "If you're photos aren't good enough, you're not close enough." The 17 gets me nice and close haha.

One day I'll get the 24mm 1.4. That thing is a dream.

Edit: The other selling point of the D3s was the video. Pretty much every paper these days wants online multimedia. Mixing photos and video for the websites. I have a flip but it's just awful.

Last edited:
This is somewhat off topic but I thought it might interest others so I am asking here instead of through a PM. Hope you don't mind.

I was surprised by this thread since I thought you work for a paper as an employee. Are you not an employee? Or do publications not equip their photogs anymore?

Oh, I do work at a paper. I was even recently promoted to chief photog. :)
The sad state of things though is we are a small daily(about 20K subscribers) so we don't make a ton of money as a company. So they haven't updated their equipment in a number of years. They have nice canon lenses but our two bodies are the Canon 1D(yeah, the original 4MP brick). Not exactly current technology. That thing at 800 iso looks like a D300 at 6400.

Just today I think I finally convinced the owner and my editor to update our first generation Mac Minis so we could finally stop using photoshop CS2 and get CS5 next month so we can shoot in raw.

Short answer though is the paper's equipment is old and we all use our own equipment(which they do cover repairs on if something should happen).

Wow, ok. Now I understand our last exchange (war photo) better.

Well congrats on the promotion and I sure hope they upgrade your computer. Mac Minis?

It's been so long since I started, sometimes I forget how rough some photogs have it.

I just reread that thread. Sorry it sounded like I was sniping at you. I didn't mean for it that sound that way. :oops:

Wow again. Nothing to be sorry about. At least, I never read it like that. Maybe I should go look at it again :lol:

In my last post I was just referring to your saying you didn't have the money to just fly into a war zone. Now I understand why.

Ah. Ok haha. All is good then. :thumbup:

I was considering the D700 until I realized that if I saved a little longer I could get the D3s. I have to wait longer to get it but in the end I'd probably be happier that way.

I know a lot of shooters who have been getting the 24-70 lately but for me I'm sticking with the 17-35. I love that thing. I think it was Capa who said "If you're photos aren't good enough, you're not close enough." The 17 gets me nice and close haha.

One day I'll get the 24mm 1.4. That thing is a dream.

Edit: The other selling point of the D3s was the video. Pretty much every paper these days wants online multimedia. Mixing photos and video for the websites. I have a flip but it's just awful.
totally makes sense.

You shouldn't need 11fps for sports. Heck, 7fps is ample really... heck, many shooters do it at 5fps.

As for the D3s not being able to focus or meter at 10fps and 11fps... I wonder why that is. The 1D has been able to focus and meter at 10fps for two generations now. That seems a bit odd to me, but the manual is pretty clear. It will focus and meter for the first shot, but it won't on any subsequent shot until you release the shutter and start shooting again.

Yeah, I don't need it, but doesn't mean I can't have it ;)

I would just shoot at the slower speed rates and allow autofocus. Heck, I cripple my mkIV so I don't rip off so many shots and spend extra hours sorting through them. I never had much time with the D3s. I owned it for about 2 months (if that) and just sent it to a new home yesterday. So I cannot comment directly to your question as I never even played with the crop mode settings.

Most reactions

Back