Kind of a frustrating day out on the street

fjrabon

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went for a walk to go my go-to street shooting area (little five points in Atlanta) and just couldn't find much that struck my eye. Days like that are always the worst because I go back and forth between "ugh, there's nothing out here going on" and "it must be that I'm missing things, it must be that I'm not seeing something, there's always something, I just have to see it." That back and forth between self doubt and thinking it's not me, it's the scene. To make matters worse, this probably distracts me from seeing what is there, because I'm in my head too much.

Further, while I'm enjoying the challenge of street, I'm still having to think waaaaayyyyy too much. Like with sports, I got to a point where most aspects of the shot, I didn't have to think about, so I could focus on one big thing. With street I'm having to mentally multi-task a lot.

I have to think: 1) a lot about color, 2) a lot about composition, 3) a lot about expression, 4) a lot about background, and even at times somewhat about 6) exposure and 7) depth of field. For sports, I hadn't thought about exposure or depth of field in an active way in a very long time. Exposure and depth of field were just second nature. Having to think about that many things while shooting a fluid situation that doesn't really allow you to "re-compose" can, and often is, a disaster. But I guess that's why I like it.

Anyway, here is the only shot I didn't totally hate from today, and even this one I'm very meh about:

DSCF0911 by franklinrabon, on Flickr

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back