Kinda wishing I hadnt gone for the XTi now...

Sarah23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I kinda wish I had waited and gotten a 40D instead. I didn't really know a whole lot about ANYTHING when I got the XTi...my friend has one and I fell in love with it, and didnt really look into others. It really was all I could afford anyway...but now I wish I would have waited a few months, saved up some more cash, and gotten a more "pro" camera. Maybe I can just keep saving, and eventrually sell my XTi and get the 40D (or whatever may be out thats in that price range)

Not that the XTi is a BAD camera...its really not...but after feeling and playing with others on a few different occasions now, I seem to dislike my XTi more and more....lol!

*sigh*

Ok, pitty party over. :)

You could try a battery grip for your XTi. It won't make it into a 40D...but it will improve the feel of your camera.

Two things you can do:

1 - try and sell it as quickly as possible, and recoup as much money as possible - do you still have the box, manual and warranty?

2 - learn to love your camera. It's really about the lenses, and the sensor. You have a very good sensor in there, and your lens collection will grow with you. 98% of shots you can get with the 40D you can also get with your camera... Personally I like small cameras, and you should be pleased that you own one of the smallest SLRs on the market.

Two things you can do:

1 - try and sell it as quickly as possible, and recoup as much money as possible - do you still have the box, manual and warranty?

2 - learn to love your camera. It's really about the lenses, and the sensor. You have a very good sensor in there, and your lens collection will grow with you. 98% of shots you can get with the 40D you can also get with your camera... Personally I like small cameras, and you should be pleased that you own one of the smallest SLRs on the market.

I will probably keep it, and eventually just upgrade when I can. Its not that I dont like my camera...I am so happy to even HAVE a SLR...I just didnt do a while lot of research into other ones when I was looking.

I do need some better lenses. :) Maybe that is what I should be focusing on for now. :lol:

The first month that I had my D200, I sincerely thought that I had made a huge mistake. Very few pics came out very well, most were out of focus and poorly composed.

Several hundred hours of study, practice and a thousand pics later I started to see improvements. The more time I put into it, the better the results are getting.

It's all about getting the best you can out of your current equipment.

Try checking these groups out for a little inspiration.

Well I have the same feeling. I could get a D300 for $1,300 bucks from where I work.

I wished I could have saved up to get this and just waited but I would have missed out on the 14,000 pictures I have taken with my D80 since last August.

Just think about it that way..........the countless pictures you would have missed with a "decent" camera to what you would have got with a P&S

~Michael~

I got a Nikon D50 and now that I'm more into photography I'm wishing I had a D80 for some of the CLS options. That's not saying the 50 sucks though.

Plus the strategy I'm taking is to buy some lenses now since they don't go out of date as fast as the bodies and when I have more experience / knowledge I'll upgrade the body. At that point I'm sure there will be something that will make the 80 look like a mistake. :D

Since it was your first SLR (I'm assuming because you mentioned you were a beginner), I think that this camera is good for you. If you go and see and hold other, better, more expensive cameras, of course you'll want that one! Also, like many say, the lens is usually more important. Now, if you're shooting some serious sports, than it's obvious that the 40D would be better. Just my opinion.

Check out LisaK24. Go to her profile and check out her Flickr gallery. She uses a Canon 400D (aka XTi). Every time I see her photo's I think WOW! my camera can do that? Makes me realize the potential that the XTi really has and also that my skill level is no where near hers. Which just drives me to learn more and practice more.

Its very satisfying to me to see awesome pictures taken with the same model camera that you yourself own. If that makes sense...

Theres always something better that you can buy. It will ALWAYS be that way. If you do get a 40d im sure you gonna be like, i wish i saved more and got the next one up (sorry, im not familiar with canon models).

Just buy some glass now, it will make you feel better =)

Theres always something better that you can buy. It will ALWAYS be that way. If you do get a 40d im sure you gonna be like, i wish i saved more and got the next one up (sorry, im not familiar with canon models).

Just buy some glass now, it will make you feel better =)

haha....therapeutic shopping is the best kind! :lol:

Ah, Sarah. Buyer's remorse sucks.

But there's a lot of varied advice out there, as you see: a 30D? The awesome Flickrs of people wo shoot even the xt, much less the xti? the work of people shooting a Holga, for crying out loud. And the end result is...the xti ain't THAT bad, and I was thinking: we're all growing, changing, trying to get better, and the better we know the craft, the more we can carry these things with us as we advance: the xti will be your BACKUP body! I mean, after you get your 50D (when they come out with a 50D...IF they come out with a 50D...)

Don't look back - See JimmyO: I kinda regreted buying a EOS 10 when I found out the A2 had come out. Well, what, like 20 years ago, but you know.

Now get out there and research lenses! Go!!! Now!!!

Check out LisaK24. Go to her profile and check out her Flickr gallery. She uses a Canon 400D (aka XTi). Every time I see her photo's I think WOW! my camera can do that? Makes me realize the potential that the XTi really has and also that my skill level is no where near hers. Which just drives me to learn more and practice more.

Its very satisfying to me to see awesome pictures taken with the same model camera that you yourself own. If that makes sense...

aw you just gave me the warm fuzzies! :hug::

i'm nowhere near where i want to be as far as technical ability, but in the 2 months that i've had this camera, i've definitely seen some improvement in my photos!

and you're right...i love seeing others' work with the same model as my own...it makes me strive to do better :mrgreen:

Everyone above makes some valid points. More than likely you haven't tapped your camera's potential yet. Getting good glass is a better direction if you really want to spend money. But take some more time with your camera and just pick anything as a subject and try different things with each exposure and see what difference each setting makes. Your camera has the ability to take very good photo's, After a awhile as you get better you will then begin to notice where your camera fails to give you the results you need to get and then you can upgrade to better camera because you will then know the what and why you need to
upgrade and choose the camera that is right for your needs.

Most reactions

Back