Reaction score
Website
www.hamblinphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
4gb Elite 133x = $19 + free shipping
8gb Elite 133x = $33 + free shipping

Must follow instructions to get the deal:
Open link and click on "Site Map". Click on "Memory Search". In the "System Type" pull down choose "Digital Cameras/Camcorders". Hit "Find" button. Scroll down and click on your camera model, then click "Find" and it should bring up a list of the CF cards with prices.

Link:
http://shop.kingston.com//PartsInfo....P&promo=XD07PH

Let me know if it works or not

wow it worked. You have to follow that process though...or else the sale is only like $90 or so. Also, included is a free 1GB USB card. That's super weird. Hopefully I dont get an email soon stating my order is invalid...

Cool. Thanks for the link.

I just ordered two 4GB and they threw in a "1GB USB 2.0 DataTraveler I" for free. Don't know if it is any good, though.

OK -- Here's a question I've been wanting to ask for a while. How fast a card do I really need? On my 30D, is the camera or the card the limiting factor? I currently use a Sandisk Extreme - but is that overkill? Would the Kingston Elite 133 do me as well?

just ordered the 8GB, hopefully it'll go thru.

OK -- Here's a question I've been wanting to ask for a while. How fast a card do I really need? On my 30D, is the camera or the card the limiting factor? I currently use a Sandisk Extreme - but is that overkill? Would the Kingston Elite 133 do me as well?

I think I just answered my own question with a bit of Googling. This link might help others too:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

I think I'll stick with the SanDisk

In my current camera (3 frame RAW buffer K/M A2) I notice the difference between the different speeds. I notice from between the <100 cards to the 133 cards and from the 133s to the >250s. But what really makes the faster cards worth it is the read/write speed to/from the computer. Most of my cards are >250 and I really love browsing around right off the cards or editing the RAWs and saving the 50 to 200 meg PSD files back to the card - all almost instantly.

Last edited:
In my current camera (3 frame RAW buffer K/M A2) I notice the difference between the different speeds. I notice from between the <100 cards to the 133 cards and from the 133s to the >250s. But what really makes the faster cards worth it is the read/write speed to/from the computer. Most of my cards are >250 and I really love browsing around right off the cards or editing the RAWs and saving the 50 to 200 meg PSD files back to the card - all almost instantly.

Why do you save PSD files back to the card? I do everything on the computer.

I shoot everything in RAW (not crazy enough to do RAW + JPEG). Will it really slow me down to go with a 133? The numbers say it is slower, but how noticable is that?

I think that if you have a pro/semi-pro camera that the speed increases between cards only shows up in the shot-to-shot tween-times AFTER the shot-buffer is full and needs to offload to the card. If you're still taking shots at that point it can make as much as 2 seconds per frame difference in 133 to 266.

For computer browsing allot may depend on the card reader but I guess I've been lucky - all my no-name $10 readers can achieve the 55~60MB/s sustained. Anyway, the speeds for me (8-core MacPro) when browsing icon pages of 10x6 rows at this size:

are instant at 266, take about 2 to 4 seconds on 133 cards (barely bearable) and are unreasonable on the <100 cards. The 266 cards keep up with any scroll speed I browse at. When I'm in coverflow mode:

the images off the 266 cards just zip into place. I guess the update speed is about 15 images per second so I can scroll onto/off-of the screen about 15 per/sec and never see a blank image updating nor have to wait. I guess the 133 cards are about 6 or 7 IPS which feels rather sluggish and again the <100 cards are too slow to be any fun.

Writing a 50 MB PSD file to a 266 cards takes about 2 or 3 seconds by the time everything returns. About 4 to 5 seconds (a little too long for me) on the 133 cards and I may as well pour some coffee on the <100 cards. Reading a single PSD file of 50 MB or loading a 12 MB RAW file into Adobe is instant on both 133 and 266 cards and I dunno what it takes on the <100 cards any more (I still have a few but don't use them much).

Copying the entire card over to the HD I get 33 to 35 MB/s (or about 3 RAW files per second) on the 266s (300 images takes just a tad less than 2min.), half that for the 133s (which seems too long) and entirely too long on the <100 cards.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back