Kit Advice

Oceanic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

Im relatively new to the photography scene and im currently thinking of moving up from my compact digital. I was just needing a little bit of advice really.

For the camera body i was considering either the Nikon D40X or the Canon EOS 400D. I appreciate that there is probably little difference between these two, But i am mostly going to be using my camera to be taking shots of live performances of bands and artists mostly indoors. Also some portrait photography for promo purposes.

I just would like to hear poeples opinions on what might be best for my needs and what kit i should look in to purchase. Lens / flash etc...

My budget is around £600.

Cheers people.

Andrew.

i know a little about the nikons but nothing about the canons. the d40x if im not mistaken is a good camera except for the fact that the zoom lens that comes with the kit does not have an auto focus mode, it is only manual. for action shots that i take that is not ideal at all and if your doing shows i dont know if that would work out very good for you.

that is actually not right.
The d40/40x is a good camera.
but the lens itself does have an autofocus mode.
The only problem with it is that it can only use AF-S type lenses. These have focus motors built in. The d40 lacks the built in autofocus motor on the camera body itself. So yea...

so in other words the lens that comes with the kit will not auto focus although it has the option because the body does not have AF mode and you would have to buy an extra lens if you wanted AF on the zoom lens?

The kit lens will auto focus but you are limited on the lenses that you can buy because some lack the auto focus motor.

So probably best to go with the 400d with my budget then?

Any reccomendations on the type of lens or and other kit that would be hand for what i want to use it for?

i know a little about the nikons but nothing about the canons. the d40x if im not mistaken is a good camera except for the fact that the zoom lens that comes with the kit does not have an auto focus mode, it is only manual. for action shots that i take that is not ideal at all and if your doing shows i dont know if that would work out very good for you.

I think this is a good arguement for avoiding some of the online places whose prices seem a little too cheap to be true because you end up with items of quesionable quality. The best way to figure out what to get is to go to a store that carries both cameras hold them in you hands and figure out wich one of them feels the best to you. I would not advocate one over the other to you between Nikon or Canon. Just one thing try to avoid the stores that have their cameras on a leash as this is not a real good way to get a good feel for them.

So probably best to go with the 400d with my budget then?

Any reccomendations on the type of lens or and other kit that would be hand for what i want to use it for?

Yeah the best will to go with 400D rather than D40 as my opinion.

I think a good case can be made for going with the D50 instead of either of those two. The D50 can be had for a heck of a price while you can still find them.

I also debated between the Nikon D40x and the Canon EOS Rebel XTi (400D) and purchased the Canon. The picture quality is great and the price is right. Nikon has a limited choice of auto focus lenses for the D40x whereas any of the many EF or EF-S lenses Canon offers will fit the EOS 400D for future upgrades. The Canon also performs sensor cleaning and the Nikon does not.
Here are two reviews that compare the EOS 400D to the more expensive Nikon D80. http://www.dcviews.com/reviews/Canon-Rebel-XTi-Nikon-D80/Canon-Rebel-Xti-Nikon-D80-review.htm
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/digital_rebel_xti-review/
Hope this Helps.

couldnt help but notice the omision of the olympus e510.

before i found this site i looked at various reviews and felt that the 510 offered more bang for the dollar.i also found the pricing on it far more attractive than the d40x.
i purchased the e510,14-42 as well as a 40-150,1 gig cf memory,kit bag,cleaning cloths. so far with the 1st hundred or so pics we have taken,we are pleased. this whole outfit was less than 800.00 with tax.
i also chose the olympus partially due to the fact that the last olympus (camedia) lasted me 10 years with no problems other than the smart media is getting harder to find.
i am happy with my choice at this time, just wondering why it seems like the other brands are hyped more.(nikon,canon,sony)

bp

Most reactions

New Topics

Back