What's new

Knockoffs....

SushiWarrior

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 20, 2009
Messages
182
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is there any harm in buying a knockoff speedlight? I don't have the $100+ for a genuine Nikon speedlight and I am noticing some cheap ($30) speedlight knock-offs for sale. What would I be loosing versus buying a genuine speedlight?

1. Would it not be as controllable (it is TTL)?
2. Would the light be off white (it lists it as 5600K, but I doubt that :-P)?
3. Would it eat lots of battery life?
4. Would it not be as bright?

Also, I recently got an extension tube. When I use it with my 70-210, I have to zoom to focus. What is my effective focal length going to be like? The centre of the range? The widest point? How many mm in extension tube would I need to get 1:1?
 
I will answer part of your question & leave the rest to others. When the extension tube/bellows is equal to the focal length of the lens you will have a 1:1 macro. i.e. 35mm lens+35mm extension = 1:1.
 
thats an interesting question.. I'd like to know some of these things myself.
Smile.gif
 
I will answer part of your question & leave the rest to others. When the extension tube/bellows is equal to the focal length of the lens you will have a 1:1 macro. i.e. 35mm lens+35mm extension = 1:1.

I have a 70-210 lens, what will I need to get 1:1? That's what I need to know. As you may or may not know with a zoom lens and an extension tube, zooming actually focuses.

I have also considered getting a reversing ring, as doing a little handheld shooting with the 50 held in fron reversed got some great results, albeit lots of vignetting (probably because of my handholding).
 
I don't have the $100+ for a genuine Nikon speedlight and I am noticing some cheap ($30) speedlight knock-offs for sale. What would I be loosing versus buying a genuine speedlight?

1. Would it not be as controllable (it is TTL)?
2. Would the light be off white (it lists it as 5600K, but I doubt that :-P)?
3. Would it eat lots of battery life?
4. Would it not be as bright?

It would be easier if you had a link to the knockoff...
 
generally i believe knock offs dont have all the compatibility or/and functions.. or reliability while im at it
 
generally i believe knock offs dont have all the compatibility or/and functions.. or reliability while im at it

Well, considering I will be using totally manual shooting anyways (this would only be studio/product sort of photography) and I use all manual anyways, that isn't much of a problem. And, when I can buy 5+ for the price of one good speedlight, reliability (while very nice) isn't a big issue either.

Also, does anyone know if any knockoffs are any good in particular? Like one good seller, or one good "brand" (maybe just a value brand?).
 
Well, considering I will be using totally manual shooting anyways (this would only be studio/product sort of photography) and I use all manual anyways, that isn't much of a problem..

Forget it... power is not variable.

If your intention is a "strobist" setup with the flash on a stand bounced in an umbrella, you can find some 285s, 283, or old sunpaks on ebay that should serve you well. Just be careful of trigger voltages.

[EDIT]

Is that ebay ad for the flash correct... GN of only 24? That's not very powerful.
 
I will answer part of your question & leave the rest to others. When the extension tube/bellows is equal to the focal length of the lens you will have a 1:1 macro. i.e. 35mm lens+35mm extension = 1:1.

I have a 70-210 lens, what will I need to get 1:1? That's what I need to know. As you may or may not know with a zoom lens and an extension tube, zooming actually focuses.
.

i think Ron made it as straight forward as it needed to be... but youre extension tube will need to equal your focal length for a 1:1 ratio... it only makes sense. since you have 70-210 to work with and you wanted to shot at 80mm focal length ud need a 80mm extension to have a 1:1. Zoom focuses? :confused:
 
I think there is a good clue in the price, CRAP look at the guide number and recycle time
 
Is that ebay ad for the flash correct... GN of only 24? That's not very powerful.

Since it is listed in Canada ebay, so I believe it maybe 24m instead of 24 feet. 24m is close to 80 feet ... hum ... still not too powerful .. LOL

For flashes, I will look for the one that has a higher GN number, allow me to adjust the flash power manually and able to tilt and turn the flash head so that I can bounce the flash.
 
I have a 70-210 lens, what will I need to get 1:1?

70mm of extension tubes with minimum zoom (70mm).

But that's the problem! It does not zoom! When you use an extension tube on a zoom lens, zooming in and out is focusing! And moving the focusing ring ever so slightly changes the zoom (like millimeters at most). So do I need 70mm, 210mm, or some other number of extension tubes?

I was thinking of just using it for macro, I have continuous lamps (just 60W bulbs, 2 of them soon to be 3) and I'm not sure if a flash would help too much anyways.

Finally, reversing rings. If I wanted a reversing ring to mount a 50mm with a 52mm filter thread on to a 70-210 with a 62mm thread, what exactly should I search for? All I am finding is lens-camera, not lens-lens. Is there a more specific term for it?
 
Since it is listed in Canada ebay, so I believe it maybe 24m instead of 24 feet. 24m is close to 80 feet ... hum ... still not too powerful .. LOL

Ah good catch.. I had not realized the url for the ebay link...

Despite that.. i'd pass .. especially if the power is not adjustable.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom