Kodachrome vs. Velvia or ???

myrrh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
For years I have used Kodachrome almost exclusively. I have done very little film coparing. I tried some Velvia and shot a particular scene on KR and, at least for this particular series of shots, the color saturation was significant (Velvia being more saturated).

So, my questions are:

1) What are the disadvantages of Velvia?

2) What is the practical speed of Velvia 50 vs. KR64 (i.e. should I shoot Velvia 50 1/2 stop slower than KR64)?

3) I realize this question is closely related to #1: I have had a tendency to use one film for most types of shots. I've read the posts in this forum and it seems that Velvia is the choice for landscapes. What is Velvia NOT recommended for?

4) I read one forum post that inferred Velvia reacts strangely to a polarizer. I like my polarizer. What do I need to look out for in this regard?

5) Other transparency films I should consider?

I know this is a lot of questions - I really appreciate any feedback I get!

I don't shoot Velvia, but I wouldn't spend too much time figuring out Velvia 50. If you search for "velvia discontinued" there are many reports that it is going to be discontinued, and replaced with the Velvia 100.

I shot Velvia for years and loved its color saturation. Always shot it at 50. But I have a tendency to slightly overexpose. Never used a polarizer, just never liked adding extra glass to my lenses. Hadn't shot lately though.

I always used KODAK EKTACHROME 100 Plus Professional Film (EPP). I had to have an E-6 film, and one available in all sizes... 35mm, 120 and 4x5. I shoot most of this digital these days.

I found it to be very consitant. I did ALWAYS use a CC10Y filter. The films weekest performance is in daylight shadow areas... a bit on the blue side.

Hope this helps!

-Pete Christie

Velvia (in either ISO flavor) sucks for shooting people, unless you like orange people. Sensia works for people, but doesn't have that eye-popping saturation Velvia has.

If all you're going to shoot is slides, these are the two I'd choose.

After looking at some Velvia slides, Kodachrome is a breath of fresh air and reality to me. Velvia is fun to look at for certain shots, but it's a lot like having way too much sugar on everything. (For me).

Dave

Thanks everyone for your comments. Does anyone know how Velvia reacts to a polarizer?

Tom Mackie uses them all the time with Velvia...his pictures are amazing.

BTW: I am a new newb to these forums...Hi Everyone!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back