Wedding photography, need advice!

bijoux

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Here I am again, with more questions!
My friend is getting married on the 3rd of April and she asked me to do the photography. I'm very nervous, as I've never photographed a wedding before and having the pictures come out bad is the last thing I want to happen. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me: Should I use a flash? How do I go about shooting the wedding without getting in the way or being distracting?

I'm mostly worried about lighting. I'm sure there won't be much light in the church, so I'm assuming I need to use a flash... but I never have before. Partly because I can never get it to work. I have a Nikon N8008 and the flash for it just won't work. If anyone knows what that's all about, that'd be helpful, but I think I'll just take it to a shop for assistance.

Any input is appreciated! Thanks. :)

Not be a d1ck but you might want to pass and have her hire someone. Wedding shoots are whicked hard on freindships and if you don't get the classic shots your gonna have a lot of angry people. You only get one chance!

SLOShooter said:
Not be a d1ck but you might want to pass and have her hire someone. Wedding shoots are whicked hard on freindships and if you don't get the classic shots your gonna have a lot of angry people. You only get one chance!

I appreciate your concern, but it's a very small wedding and they have no money to hire anyone. I am even paying for the film and developing. I have to do this for them because it's either me or nothing. I just wanted some advice.

What kind of Flash? When the 8008 was new, the flash recommended for it was the SB-24.

generally speaking, the last flash pic prior to the ceremony is the father giving away the bride... the first flash pic after the ceremony is the "kiss".... of course it's entirely up to the pastor... don't be afraid to ask him what his rules are....

bring a tripod to shoot the non-flash...

weddings are VERY complex, but if they have no money and you're doing it as a friend i'm sure anything you get them will be appreciated....but it is a tough assignment....

do you have a grocery list of photo's yet?? it's easier if you work off a list to make sure you don't miss any of them... and go to the rehearsal with them - that will give you a chance to see the ceremony, plan your shots and do a "rehearsal" of your own....

best of luck....

You need to get a flash that works and practice with it in the next month. Don't wait until the wedding and practice there. You could practice with some engagement portraits. You should practice until you get consistant results.

Make sure you can reload film quickly.

Sit down with the bride and work out a schedule of events and what is important to her. This will help you be in the right place at the right time.

Above all, ABOVE ALL - take 2 cameras. Borrow one, buy another, whatever, but you MUST have a back up.

If something goes wrong with the only camera you take, you are doomed to instant hatred.

KevinR said:
What kind of Flash? When the 8008 was new, the flash recommended for it was the SB-24.
I think that is what the flash is. I think there's something wrong with where it connects because it will work when tested, just not with the camera. I'm going to look into it, but thanks for letting me know about that.

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I really appreciate it. I understand people may be rolling there eyes about me trying to do this with no experience, but I have to get experience somehow.

Just one more question: What speed film would you reccomend? Would different speed films be a good idea?

Sorry if I'm a pain, I just want to make sure everything goes okay. :meh:

I generally shoot the ceremony at 100ISO + flash depending on the available lighting. You'll need to check with the church to make sure flash is allowed, sometimes it isn't. If no flash is allowed you'll need to shoot at 800-1600 to get proper lighting as most churches are fairly dimly lit. As for the reception, it's a matter of preference as to flash vs. available light and getting grain. The last wedding I did I shot at 400ISO + my 550 Speedlite.

In terms of the shots, make sure you meet with the couple and get a list of their must haves (most will be intuitive to you but some couples want some extra non-traditional shots). I carry index cards with the order I will be taking the photos in. Definately go ahead of time to the church and reception place to make sure you know how to get there and it gives you a chance to take some test shots.

As for not getting in the way, if you have a good telephoto use it. If you don't, crouch down low to make sure you're not in anyone's way and just try to be as quiet as you can.

Best of luck to you! Everyone has to start somewhere and as long as the couple knows what you have to offer I am sure they will be happy with the results. I started my portfolio with family and friend's weddings.

As said, figure out your flash problems beforehand and practice so that you know exactly what to expect when the time comes.

Back up equipment is very important. What if your flash crapped out on you while shooting? Or what if the camera suddenly stopped working? Always have a plan & a backup plan or two.

mountainlander said:
Batteries!!!

That bears repeating! It's amazing how quickly a flash will go through batteries, esp in low light situations. Camera batteries too, but I find the ones for the flash need replacing the most.

bijoux said:
What speed film would you reccomend? Would different speed films be a good idea?

With 35mm color film I like Fuji NPH400 inside or low light, and NPS160 in brighter lighting. I don't like going faster than ISO 400 with color. All the 800+ speed color neg films I've tried are too grainy for me when enlarged to a 8"x12" from 35mm.

With BW I shoot ISO 125 or 400 depending on the light, and if I need something really fast I shoot Tri-X at ISO 1250 and develop it in Diafine.

If you have 2 cameras you can use 2 different speeds. If you have to stick to one speed use 400. It is worth spending the extra $$$ on the "pro" film in this sort of situation. I recommend Fuji NPH 400; it's always done a great job for me.

Most reactions

Back