Kwazee- Studio portrait with color gels

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A portrait I took of one of my best friends Kwazee earlier this year. I've shared a couple of images from this shoot here already so some of you may already be familiar with this setup, but this was an experimental shoot where he and I built the photo set using big foam insulation boards connected like a V-flat to make "walls", and attached platinum reflective mylar to them.

Shot using the original Canon 5D with a Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens attached, set to f/13, 1/160th sec, ISO 100. Lit using two Neewer C300 flash heads with color gels.
_MG_2957.jpg

A portrait I took of one of my best friends Kwazee earlier this year. I've shared a couple of images from this shoot here already so some of you may already be familiar with this setup, but this was an experimental shoot where he and I built the photo set using big foam insulation boards connected like a V-flat to make "walls", and attached platinum reflective mylar to them.

Shot using the original Canon 5D with a Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens attached, set to f/13, 1/160th sec, ISO 100. Lit using two Neewer C300 flash heads with color gels.
View attachment 197626

I like this a lot. Great color and interesting lighting, scene/pose. Very nicely done. Also compliments on the fairly simple setup as well. Proves you don't have to have a big studio to shoot cool images.

Be well,

Mark

Nicely done. I saw this photo on your Facebook page a couple of days ago. I'm glad you decided to share it with us here at tpf.

View attachment 197626

I like this a lot. Great color and interesting lighting, scene/pose. Very nicely done. Also compliments on the fairly simple setup as well. Proves you don't have to have a big studio to shoot cool images.

Be well,

Mark
Thank you. I've always been poor, so I enjoy proving that you don't need expensive setups or the newest camera or luxury glass the make quality portraits. Even the flash setup is a kit that costs less than $200.

Everything said, this is a very interesting image. Very creative and very well captured. Great artistic photograph, and great explanation of the process.

View attachment 197626

Love all the photos from this shoot and still planning to steal this idea when I do my daughter’s senior photos later this month.

View attachment 197626

Be well,

Mark
Thank you. I've always been poor, so I enjoy proving that you don't need expensive setups or the newest camera or luxury glass the make quality portraits. Even the flash setup is a kit that costs less than $200.

This is exactly right. I worked as a photojournalist for 30+ years and one thing that it teaches you is to work fast with a minimal amount of equipment as possible. Exactly right and again, a great shot!

Mark

Not much I can add. Just another delightful take.

I can only imagine the amount of knowledge it took to create something so good with such lighting. Well deserved nomination.

Everything said, this is a very interesting image. Very creative and very well captured. Great artistic photograph, and great explanation of the process.
Thank you! Sometimes when I'm not feeling too lazy I think it's important to share details that might help others be creative with their work and be able to have some hints towards how I get a certain look in my own photos.

View attachment 197626

Love all the photos from this shoot and still planning to steal this idea when I do my daughter’s senior photos later this month.
Thank you. I hope we get to see those!

View attachment 197626

Be well,

Mark

This is exactly right. I worked as a photojournalist for 30+ years and one thing that it teaches you is to work fast with a minimal amount of equipment as possible. Exactly right and again, a great shot!

Mark
Thanks again.

Most reactions

Back