lab or home print?

Osmer_Toby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i'm wondering whether i should print on my own printer, canon s9000, or send files off to printed by a good lab. anyone got any thoughts on this? this is for work to be delivered to a client, not for my own use....

It would depend on the quality of your printer, I would say. Does it print good enough? I am not familiar with the model. If its for a client, are you using archival paper and inks? If people are paying for it, then they deserve to receive a product that will last.

I prefer the control of printing myself. I've gotten way too frustrated with labs, even professional ones. The Canon is using dye-based inks, so they aren't going to be archival, but Canon claims 25+ years of lightfastness, which is comparable to typical color prints. I guess it depends if you think you can do a better job than the lab and if it's worth the work to save the money.

You'll definitely have better end results if you do it yourself...but yes, if you're not using a printer with pigment based inks you have limited archival quality. If your clients are aware of this, then you're not misrepresenting the product.

If you plan to make this your business and have a LOT of clients, then it may be time to consider moving up to a better printer.

it may be time to consider moving up to a better printer.

ya, it's been on my mind of late.... gotta go back and read markc's post & pick his brains some more... :)

thanks everyone, as always, for thy wisdom

Most reactions

New Topics

Back