Lady Bug, Orchid (two shots)

Trenton Romulox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jeremygrayphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, I just took these in the last few days. I found the dead lady bug on the counter, and figured, good time to work some macro. So I did. I found the orchid in my home, and was like, 'hey, let's do this thing.' So I did.

Critique, as always, welcome. In fact, hardcore critique is greatly encouraged, I'm here to share my work and to get better. Thanks.

Fragility:
_DSC7479.jpg

Orchid:
_DSC7489-Edit.jpg

If you're interested in the equipment or lighting or whatever, lens, camera, whatever, just feel free to ask.

your flowers are as dead on as usual. stunning. i love the ladybug idea. i just ran over to my bathroom window and picked a couple out of the frame! but i wouldn't mind seeing more dimension on the ladybug, mabey a bit of the curve of its shell.

your flowers are as dead on as usual. stunning. i love the ladybug idea. i just ran over to my bathroom window and picked a couple out of the frame! but i wouldn't mind seeing more dimension on the ladybug, mabey a bit of the curve of its shell.

Here's the thing: the lady bug wasn't just dead, it was mangled. The shell was about flat crushed, so I didn't really feel like showing people a dead lady bug that was, you know, massacred. To be honest, I think I killed it on accident. I feel kind of bad. But, at least its memory is now forever in photo-form, right?

And thank you for the flower comments, I feel like I'm finally starting to find my groove with flower photography. But, there's always more work to be done, always. Thanks again for the comments.

ha! excellant! that's the most considerate thing that has ever been done for a ladybug to the dead ladybug. (i just hope it was a real one and not one of thoes asian ladybugs that bite, they hurt)

ha! excellant! that's the most considerate thing that has ever been done for a ladybug to the dead ladybug. (i just hope it was a real one and not one of thoes asian ladybugs that bite, they hurt)

Oh, no, it was a nice ladybug (I assume). I figure, "Hey, this ladybug is now not just a ladybug, it's a part of art." I figure that'll make up for me maybe, perhaps, quite possibly, killing it. Haha, right?

Now, I'm just curious, what do people think of the lighting on the orchid shot?

don't know if you were going for this but i like how the petals on the outside edges of the compositon all seem to be bent back slightly. the shadows on these edges trail off nicely and give a real soft look, without compromising the sharpness of the details in the rest of the picture. if that was the goal, cool, if not, see if you can make it a practice. i'm going to now.

don't know if you were going for this but i like how the petals on the outside edges of the compositon all seem to be bent back slightly. the shadows on these edges trail off nicely and give a real soft look, without compromising the sharpness of the details in the rest of the picture. if that was the goal, cool, if not, see if you can make it a practice. i'm going to now.

Yeah, I mean, I was trying to keep the lighting strong and the flower sharp, without making it too harsh, and I feel like I did okay with that. At the same time, I still think my lighting was too harsh. But, at the same time as I say that, that's how I prefer to light flowers, because everyone is always taking soft pictures of flowers, and I personally try and mix things up a bit.

yeah, what lighting DID you loose?

specs plz!

love the second

yeah, what lighting DID you loose?

specs plz!

love the second

For the first shot I used two SB-800s, one from the front (level with the bug), and one from the side (level with the bug). Both were at full-power. And the shot was with my 60mm AF-S Micro Nikkor f/2.8 @ f/22

The second shot, I used two SB-800s, one from below the flower, about pointing at the front most flower, and then one hand-held from the top, about directly above where the first flash was. Both at full-power. Nikon 60mm AF-S Micro Nikkor at f/36.

how much are sb-800's and how come it didnt completely wash out the flower?

how much are sb-800's and how come it didnt completely wash out the flower?

I think SB-800s can be had for about $325 from B&H Photo.

I was shooting at f/36, so much less than full-power wouldn't have been effective, that's the main reason the flowers aren't washed out. I almost shoot exclusively at full-power with my SB-800s.

Great shots as usual. Only nitpick is the shadow on the lower part of the top flower. But i love the colors!

Great shots as usual. Only nitpick is the shadow on the lower part of the top flower. But i love the colors!

Thank you, JimmyO! I was waiting for someone to point that out. I can't believe I let that happen during the shoot. I'm probably gonna have to a reshoot tomorrow now, that shadow is gonna be killin' me.

I'm really glad someone picked up on that shadow, haha.

Most reactions

Back